SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 02-09-08, 07:41 PM   #1
Tim in Belgium

Default August Spa and 'Ring Trip, image heavy and a couple of words...

Well, a few weeks ago I left work on a damp Tuesday afternoon on a packed SV650s, meeting my mate Clarke a.k.a Bob Bobbleton at Stokesley baths on his ’08 Blade. Although it had been chucking it down all afternoon the rain decided to stop for us and we headed off on the Helmsley TT, on towards Pickering before turning off and taking some nice B roads towards Malton. It was then on through the Yorkshire wolds towards Beverley, then round the edge of Hull. Heading in on the DC I sasw a rainbow, then it proceeded to chuck it down for 5 mins, but not to worry we were almost at the ferry. On to the old Hull-Rotterdam ferry and to the bar and buffet for a good feed, followed by some band then bed.

Next day it was up and through Holland, lots of showers, but none heavy enough for us to put on our leathers, after all we’re sports bike riders (or I pretend to be). We stopped off at our favourite southern heading service station (well the only one that we ever stop at) which delivered us a few attractive views and pert behinds.

We motored on through Maastricht and passed Hollands highest hill to Belgium where our first vehicle of the journey overtook us. We were soon of the motorway and onto a few twisties to our first stop at Neils place:

http://www.aeaventures.com/

We dumped our bags then headed to La Roche for some lunch, but doing the road down there a couple of times first

It ****ed down whilst we were eating, then the sun came out for the rest of our afternoon ride. Back at Neil’s it was food with the other guests, a little beer and wine before heading to bed ready for the next day.

Up early the next day to clear blue skies, dropped the kids of at the pool then returned to find the hill fog had rolled in. By the time breakfast had been devoured the mist was clearing and we set of on the quick 5 mins hop to the famous Spa Francochamps circuit.

We arrived, signed in, got handed out transponders, then attended a briefing in French/Dutch which I understood some of before heading out for our first session (which was a little short due to the length of the briefing ) Out on track the place was amazing, with just the damp patch. Spa is an amazing circuit with elevation changes out of this world. Favourite corners of the day were Eau Rouge, Pouhon and Blanchimont. Some of our sessions got red flagged but a good day in all that was pretty warm and stayed dry. The lap times came down :

http://www.ris-timing.be/bikers/liste_temps.php?id_pil=4316&id_cou=13

And I was pretty pleased with a best lap of 3:12 given the SV’s lack of power, a guy with a GSXR750 staying with us was getting a best of 3:07 in the group above. So a great day and a track I’ll have to return to with more power. Clarke’s transponder failed to work, but he was going at a similar pace to the GSXR750 guy. Unfortunately the photographer was rubbish, and I’ve still to receive Clarke’s odd shot of me, I’ll have to kick the peasant!

More food and beer at Neils before rising the next day and heading to Bren’s place:

http://www.slidersguesthouse.com/

We dropped our stuff off, then headed to the Ring for some laps in the afternoon, a couple with Neil where it was interesting to refine my lines a little, especially haning out for the turn in points:

The SV coming out of Adenauer Forst (I think):

The Blade in the Karussel:

The SV at somewhere with a big kerb:

The Blade there as well:

It was then off for a Chinese from Bren’s place, the car drivers providing the taxis

The next day there was an 4hr salon car endurance race, so we grabbed some food (apple strudel) than watched some of the racing:

When the ‘Ring opened we went out for a few evening laps, in the braking zone (I hope):

Last edited by Tim in Belgium; 02-09-08 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-09-08, 07:41 PM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: August Spa and 'Ring Trip, image heavy and a couple of words...

Pt II

We then went out for a quick ride in Adam’s Prelude, pretty surreal after having been out on the bike, A tidy lap in a lowish (200bhp) powered car, thanks again for the ride Adam. Although it nearly finished Clarke off, sitting in one piece leathers in a hot car round the ‘Ring is only for the fit! :

We left Slider’s early Sunday, in the cool on Squidgy tyres, dancing through the shadows on the valley floor, staring through a misting up visor. 5km from the ‘Ring and the warmth started to seep through. To Mr Ed’s to fill up with fuel and to the ‘Ring, bathed in beautiful low golden sun. After a first recce lap (overtaking a desmodecci RR!) to reveal all was dry it was two of the best laps of my life there, empty track, long shadows, high contrast, I was living in my own film set or my version of heaven. One of my life’s highs.

Came in for 15 mins, then went out again, it’d be rude not too! A little more traffic but still good fun. Got some more laps in through out the day:

SV in:

SV out (is that my black line?):

Blade in:

Blade out(is that his black line?):

SV going in and in again:

SV Going round:

The Sv after Eiskurve?

SV at Wehrseifen exit?:

Blade through Wehrseifen?:

So a great weekend of ‘Ringing, firstly we had no accidents, secondly it stayed dry, thirdly we had 28 laps a piece

Taking the years total to 58 laps, and lifetime bike and car total to 93.

It was back to Bren’s then for take away pizza, packing up the next day riding through a drizzly Holland, an overnight ferry crossing watching Top Secret, a damp Helmsley TT in the morning, a quick shower then back to work for the afternoon. Living the dream.

Last edited by Tim in Belgium; 02-09-08 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-09-08, 07:50 PM   #3
Dave The Rave

Bloody heck Tim, you may as well move over there. Lovely pictures mate. Weather looked good too.
Old 02-09-08, 07:54 PM   #4
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Taking the years total to 58 laps, and lifetime bike and car total to 93.
You like the 'Ring then?

Top write-up - will you get there more next year when you're in Holland?
Old 02-09-08, 08:05 PM   #5
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Sounds like you had a good time. I will hopefully go back to the 'Ring sometime and maybe even smaple Eau Rouge as well.

I see you managed to get some decent photos of yourselves as well. More than we managed when we went. ...I looke at those thirty odd websites for photos and not one had any of us.
Old 02-09-08, 09:12 PM   #6
Balky001
Mega Poster

Nice picks, great shots, so many people don't lean that much on the ring but still quick. You have done loads of laps, are you under the 10 minute mark yet?
Old 02-09-08, 09:14 PM   #7
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001 View Post
Nice picks, great shots, so many people don't lean that much on the ring but still quick. You have done loads of laps, are you under the 10 minute mark yet?
I wouldn't be surprised if Tim's not breaking the 9 minute mark.
Old 02-09-08, 10:07 PM   #8
Zombie Jesus

nice report + pics tim I gotta get my ass down there next year
Old 02-09-08, 10:09 PM   #9
chakraist

Looks like you had an excellent time, is that 9:48 your laptime round the ring in your sig?
Old 02-09-08, 10:12 PM   #10
Tim in Belgium

Unluckily my lap timing device (£4.99 stopwatch) conked out just before I attached it to the top yoke with duct-tape, so I'm unsure of my BTG time now. Although comparing against some car drivers that were timing I'd guess I'm either just above or just below the 9 min mark on a good clear lap, but I'm not 100% sure, I'm definitely quicker than last year (9:48 BTG) and am hitting about 135 on the downhill straights into Schwadenkreuz and the Fuchshohre. I love the turn in to Schwadenkreuz too, along with the Hit part of Miss-Hit-Miss.

Planning on doing a course there next year and going back with a bigger bike, with the nokia GPS phone timing set up

And SimesB, I'll be buying a year's pass there for next year, and hope for at least 5 trips, getting a tow/wet weather car for the place too for when it's damp/raining/very cold It'll only be about 4.5 hours from home when towing.