SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-02-06, 12:35 AM   #1
Balky001
Mega Poster

Default Triumph Daytona 675 - First Off!

Well what an exciting day I had. Thought I'd go for a ride on my bike and as the Triumph dealer is about 30 miles away on some OK roads, thought I might take in test ride on the new 675.

The ride up to the dealer was OK, mostly dry and roads fairly good although as I got closer to Great Dunmow the roads deteriated in grip and quality. Anyway, once I saw the yellowish looking Daytona I thought it was worth the trip up.

The Daytona fired in to life and I can't believe what a great bike it is. Initially it feels very tall and skinny. The pegs are fairly high but not too far back, ride is comfortable and the clocks were clear although the low screen obscured the gear change indicator.

The pull is very twin like but revs to 15K. There's some engine braking, a lot more than the GSXR not as much as SV. Low speed braking was really average and I was a little disappointed, but once I got a bit of speed up the brakes were phenomenal. The springs are really hard and the front end did skipped more on poor surfaces than other supersports I've ridden. Acceleration, even low down the range but especially from 8K + was fantastic - light throttle action and the bike was very easy to point and go.

Thge road surface was OK I thought, until I decided on the way back to take it round a small roundabout that I had flicked through on my GSXR. I was going quite a bit slower on the Daytona and so didn't cut the line so much. Big mistake. There's a rut in the road that goes about a 5th of the way round the roundabout, it's about 4 or 5 inches wide and an inch or so deep, but very rough and bobbly. Once the front wheel was in it the bike just slide away.

The car driver behind stopped and said he thought I was riding very steady and couldn't believe it went away from me like that. The fairing scrapes start at the end of the rut! Stupidly I was worried about leaving the bike in the road and making sure I was OK so after we picked the bike up I said thanks. It wasn't until a biker stopped that he mentioned going to the council - especially as I had to pay £250 excess and ripped my winter jacker (had leather on underneath too!). I took a photo on my phone but will go back tomorrow to get proper ones done. The biker, a learner on his 125 - mentioned that the rut was notorious.

When I got back to the dealer they were cool about it - a guy in his 4x4 said his jeep jumped a bit when he hit the rut this morning. Not sure I'll be able to get anything back from the council and the dealer will also lose out as the damage is about £800 (estimate) - too small to make a wothwhile claim on the insurance although as I said I paid the £250 excess (least I could do). The annoying thing is with some decent bungs on the bike nothing would have been damaged, it was such a slow speed low side, not none are available yet.

The Daytona is awesome, but having my first off spoiled the day, and the bill was unwelcome and my winter kit is now longer waterproof (rips, tears and a few square inches missing from the shoulder!). I'm annoyed that I didn't get the witness details/ statement but hopefully the council may do something before someone else falls foul and hurts more than just their pride.
Old 12-02-06, 12:44 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Interesting, I've yet to ride the new baby Triumph, think I'll wait until summer.

Could you tell the weight of the crank? is it aimed at the supersport 600 market (certainly looks like it from riding position),

Sorry to hear about the off, but such is life. bet you've never had a more expensive test ride

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-06, 12:45 AM   #3
amarko5

just as a matter of interest

what OEM tyres are fitted to the daytona then

and glad to hear it's just your pride and wallet thats hurt
Old 12-02-06, 12:51 AM   #4
Demonz

ouch. Sorry to hear about the pride. And werent the they backed up to July for orders on these things. Let us know how you go with the council.
Old 12-02-06, 02:25 AM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Oops. You know, it's possible you're the first person ever to crash one of those. That's a real badge of honour!
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-06, 09:45 AM   #6
The Basket

Yes...poor quality of road surface...the exact point I was making.
Old 12-02-06, 09:57 AM   #7
jonboy

Glad you're okay, though sorry about your wallet. At £250 excess that's uncommonly good as I've heard horror stories of £1500 excess being charged by some dealers. Just chalk it down to yet more experience .

Old 12-02-06, 09:58 AM   #8

get good photos BEFORE you inform the council, a mate of mine tripped in a pothole in the road and broke his arm, when he told the council holes had never been filled as quick so it was a good job he got some pics quic, get a decent solicitor and take them for bike damage, new clothes etc, might teach them to look after the roads in the first place.[/b]
Old 12-02-06, 10:12 AM   #9
Anonymous

What a ****er.

Viewers in the west may be interested Fowlers have a demo of this, I saw someone heading off yesterday. Fowlers seem to have gone in with Triumph in a big was and large part of the showroom is not set aside to them.
Old 12-02-06, 10:15 AM   #10
Dicky Ticker

Sorry to hear about your tumble Paul,which roundabout we talking about as there are a couple of bad ones up there Ongar are pretty fair,but make sure it is John the workshop manager who deals with it,Good Guy

Take it you were impressed with the bike otherwise,bearing in mind your own bike has the suspension all set up but the 675 is as,BUT is fully adjustable,so once
set up could be quite impressive???????? I thought the brakes were stonking and the grunt good,but not worth the 4k it would cost to changeand it is def not as comfortable as me old ST