SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-12-20, 02:26 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Antonov AN-225

For the aircraft buffs. The AN-225 is the heaviest aircraft ever built and was designed to carry the Soviet space shuttle. Here it's taking off from Zurich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jALTAeHLbQ

In the foreground when its taxi-ing you can see some orange antennae, these are the Localiser part of the ILS which gives the aircraft azimuth information out to 30 miles. The Glidepath transmitters/antenna are situated close to threshold. I used to work on ILS in the RAF.
Old 24-12-20, 03:39 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Antonov AN-225

Quite a sight, isn't it? I've seen the Belugas going into the Airbus plant near Wrexham and they don't look like they should fly at all, the Antonov must dwarf them ...
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-20, 07:57 PM   #3
gadget

An impressive sight for sure, I would loved to have seen one of the monster cold War Ekranoplans doing their thing! That must have been an awesome sight, some of those were truly humongous.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-20, 07:36 AM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

When we used them, (To transport turbine/generator), we would always look out for them flying over the office.

Amazing that aircraft designed for other purposes could transition into a globally required heavy lift aircraft for private use.

Refer to my first statement. My contigency management policies had a very real threat of the proverbial 747 landing on the roof!
Old 27-12-20, 07:49 PM   #5
keith_d
Mega Poster

I like the way that when he's waiting for takeoff clearance you can seen the wings drooping but on climb out they're almost level. Presumably if it was fully loaded they would have achieved a more normal tip-up position.

Last edited by keith_d; 27-12-20 at 07:51 PM.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote