SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-09-06, 08:29 PM   #1
gj

Default is warranty warrented?

Hi SV'ers - I just put down a deposit on the bike I have been dreaming about for months - a blue 650s (2004). When I go back to pay the balance, I have the option of buying up to three years of Suzuki used bike warranty. It's not cheap - somewhere around almost $400 for 1 year, $500 for 2, $600 for three. The question I put before your collective wisdom is: are the odds on my side that this very clean, under 4K mile bike will not need any kind of factory service and I would just be throwing money away? I know there is no "right" answer, but I'd appreciate hearing what you'd do if you were in my boots (which, by the way, in this Florida heat would not a very nice place to be).

Thanks from the new kid on the block.
Old 28-09-06, 08:39 PM   #2
Red ones
Mega Poster

Personally?

I wouldn't bother - I would throw the money in a high interest savings account and reap the reward of 7 - 10 %. I see warranties as a gamble - especially extended warranties. It's a kind of insurance out of which they are aiming to make money - I take the gamble and like to make the money myself!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-06, 08:40 PM   #3
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

IMO I would keep the money to put towards any work that needs done. Save you finding out that the warranty's not worth the paper it's written on.

Just my opinion mind.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-06, 08:41 PM   #4
kwak zzr

no one can say you wont have a problem with your new bike but they are pretty reliable and tend not to give many problems if looked after and well maintained.
Old 28-09-06, 08:47 PM   #5
hovis

IF somthing did go wrong, they would probally say"oh sorry sir thats not covered by the warranty"
Old 28-09-06, 08:52 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

If something does go wrong you will probably find it's not covered,or the small print puts a cap on how much they will pay out.Also you will probably have to get the bike dealer serviced and pay dealer service prices in order to keep within the conditions.Add all that money together and sevice it yourself,and you should have enough to cover most eventualities.Just buy wise in the first place,and never pay the asking price.
Old 29-09-06, 09:27 AM   #7
Baph

I've just bought a K6 recently, so get the 2year warranty for nothing. Great. It's advertised as being a 2 year unlimited milage warranty (anyone with experience of the Internet in the UK will tell you unlimited doesn't alwasy mean unlimited).

I was told by the stealership that the warranty doesn't cover the usual gubbins, things considered "consumables" (eg, bulbs, tyres - the latter came as quite a shock to the Mrs, honestly!).

The warranty document does state that the bike must be services as per the shedule, and the book stamped by someone with "mechanical ability suitable to perform such actions." I can change oil etc, but I don't have a stamp.

First service on the new bike was cheap, they waive the labour costs & you only pay parts. Second service is starting to get expensive (£170 ish). It won't be going for a 3rd service with the Stealership.

According to reports, Suzuki can be difficult at making them stick by their warranty. That's probably down to the way the franchise works, and if you pick a good dealership, you should be fine.

It's a risky thing, and I know I certainly wouldn't of handed over any more of my money to get a warranty, I only have this one because it's free (and to me, unlimited means around 50k miles!).
Old 29-09-06, 09:54 AM   #8
jambo
Mega Poster

Personally I'd keep the money back, as it will cover whatever you need, rather than whatever the warranty covers as stated above. I've heard enough warranty stories about companies wriggling out of fixing things, or not having it pay everything required (not the full labour rate for example) that I'd just hold the cash back for a few months and see if anything breaks
Old 29-09-06, 05:42 PM   #9
Stig

Only extra warranty I have ever purchased was one that said if you didn't make a claim for the duration of the warranty you got your money back. I didn't and I did.
Old 29-09-06, 09:51 PM   #10
gj

thanks all - you probably just saved me a few hundred buck$ - after I pick up the bike and ride it a bit I'll be checking back in to the forum to see what kinds of mods you've been doing.

Which reminds me - about the forks - just pumping them a bit at the dealership and comparing them to other bikes, I noticed that they seem very softly sprung on the SV. Is this standard for the breed? Does this adversely affect handling? Everyone seems to say these bikes handle great, but...And does heavier fork oil make much difference or is it better to go with stronger springs? Both? Something else?

I should probably check previous listings about this - can anyone point me to the relevant ones?