SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-04-12, 08:21 PM   #1
HoL

Default Fitting front wheel bearings?

I got some front wheel bearings from Wemoto & tried fitting them today, they looked the same size as the ones I took out but now they're in they seem too big. The spacer in the wheel seems to be pushing up against the inner race stopping them from turning. I'm not convinced they're all the way in either as the speedo drive won't go flush in the wheel either now.

They were all balls 25-1210 which say they're for the curvy so unless they've been put in the wrong box they should fit?

Any ideas?
Old 28-04-12, 09:39 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy front wheel bearings

it has been a while since i have done mine. If i remember right the bearing on the Offside (not speedo side) sits against a face on the inner. The bearing on the speedo side has to be flush with the outer face.
The spacer in between the bearings prevents them going any further in than intended, or so i am lead to believe.

Edit: i will add i've only done the pointy, don't know if there is a difference to the curvy

BMW F800ST

Last edited by DJ123; 28-04-12 at 09:41 PM.
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-12, 10:48 PM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

Curvey manual says fit left (speedo) side first fully home, then spacer and right side until they meet. Note the clearance shown behind the right side bearing when installed with the spacer nipped.

Last edited by embee; 28-04-12 at 10:50 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-12, 10:59 PM   #4
HoL

Hmmm, I'm sure it didn't say that in Haynes?

I presumed there was a ridge or something that they sat at, that'll teach me to watch generic vids on hugetube. I guess if you put the RHS in part way then the spacer will get it the right distance in when you torque it up?

Time to order some more

For future reference bearing size is: 40mm outer, 17mm inner, 12mm depth
Old 28-04-12, 11:17 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

Hol try these folk.. just pump the numbers in

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Bea..._11/index.html
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-12, 11:22 PM   #6
HoL

Cheers Bibio ordered. God I'm getting old - ordering bearings at midnight on a Saturday, Rock n Roll!!
Old 29-04-12, 11:45 AM   #7
HoL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoL View Post
I guess if you put the RHS in part way then the spacer will get it the right distance in when you torque it up?
Could one of you marvellous mechanical types confirm that I wouldn't bugger it up by trying the above? Ta!
Old 29-04-12, 01:05 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fitting front wheel bearings?

You really need to press/pull the bearing into the housings by applying force to the outer race not the inner. Note the tool shown uses old bearings against the new ones but also full diameter sturdy "washers" so the force goes through the outer race and keeps all the surfaces flat together so when it reaches the spacer it will stop.

If you use the spindle and pull against the inner, it puts all the load through the balls and can indent the races at worst. Because of clearances and flexibility, you will always end up with the outer race not pulled in quite far enough so there will always be a lot of side load on the ball bearing when you then tighten the spindle. This will seriously reduce the life of the bearings so you'll be back to square one very quickly.

Note similarly if you press the outer race only, without the flat washer across the inner also, you can end up in a similar situation but with the outer race too far in and thus loading the bearings up in the other direction.
Old 29-04-12, 02:55 PM   #9
HoL

Default Re: Fitting front wheel bearings?

Cheers embee, I think you slightly misunderstand what I mean though. I've been using a large socket to knock the bearings in against the outer race. What I was wondering is I do this on the speedo side so it's flush then partly put the other side in then when I put the wheel back on, the spacer (marked 2 in the pic) should shift the bearing along leaving the necessary clearance & not jamming it against the spindle spacer (5) as it is now. it seems the best way to get the clearance, what do you think?

Last edited by HoL; 29-04-12 at 02:56 PM.
Old 29-04-12, 04:10 PM   #10
muzikill
Mega Poster

Id like to see you do this in pics btw.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote