SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 24-03-10, 11:59 PM   #41
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Default Re: Any Constructive Comments Re. the Abersoch Rideout

Don't feel that, Ed - at least you had the sphericals to organise it! Hopefully the ' constructive ' bit will be more apparent after a night's sleep.
Old 25-03-10, 12:07 AM   #42
5hort5

All of the above was informative and gives me and I'm sure others a better understanding and an idea of what to expect. I have done one rider out a few years back when I had my pointy, it was in February 08 to Ladyblower I think, very icy but it was good fun, also scared the crap out of me at points. I knew I had met Slark before, I just had a quick look at the pics.

I have a feeling the TEC would get annoyed at me, I ride slowly, just ask Slark and Jamessunhill When I was young before kids etc I didn't give a **** and was fast and risky but now you'll be lucky if I overtake on a single road unless it's a tractor or I'm filtering. I love the idea of meeting the people, having a ride etc but I don't do fast. That was one of my main reasons for asking about short cutting it on the North Wales ride, I don't wont to spoil others enjoyment of it just cause I'm a lot slower. By the sounds of some of the reports above after the first 20 miles I'd be 5 miles back lol and tbh that's just not fair on the experienced riders. I can't find it but in one of the posts above says something like know your ability and consider if you should be there (it doesn't say that but something like it). Anyway if there's a shorter day ride somewhere I will come along to one at some point.

Who's hiding behind the box? (From said ride out)

5hort5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-10, 06:20 AM   #43
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Oh my this thread is making a point. I know not directly at me (well maybe just an ickle bit...)

I feel mega stoopid

...but the requirement is getting rather prescriptive and onerous, for a rideout do we really need instructions that are a page long? If the expectations are this high maybe people will think twice about organising something?

Fine balance in there. Just don't do what I did... or rather, didn't.
Ed, the only responsibility of the rideout organiser is to pick time, date and route, and usually to lead the run, but not always.

The onus for marking and TEC is on those who choose to do it. If you haven't got the patience to sit marking a junction, don't be second bike behind the lead bike. Simples. We've sat for upwards of twenty minutes at junctions on large rideouts, it's what you do, and we are happy to do it as our contribution to the day. Besides, it gives me a chance to have a cigarette!

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-10, 08:41 AM   #44
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
Ed, the only responsibility of the rideout organiser is to pick time, date and route, and usually to lead the run, but not always.

The onus for marking and TEC is on those who choose to do it. If you haven't got the patience to sit marking a junction, don't be second bike behind the lead bike. Simples. We've sat for upwards of twenty minutes at junctions on large rideouts, it's what you do, and we are happy to do it as our contribution to the day. Besides, it gives me a chance to have a cigarette!
Took the words out of my mouth Lissa. +1 (but I dont smoke)
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-10, 10:10 AM   #45
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Ed there was a general point that marking was at times slack and I think we were all guilty of the 'everyone knows what they are doing' mind set, so please don't consider the point to be directed at you personally. I was not expecting to lead the ride, but was happy to do so. I was surprised that I had to point to ask the #2 bike to mark junctions, but when I realised that marking was not happening I did make the point to mark on junctions. We all just needed to get the group head back on.

The discussion has moved on a bit to cover different marking systems and is now a general chat about how to behave on rideouts, not just the ride to Abersoch. I hope it's being informative to folks new to ride outs.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-10, 10:31 AM   #46
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hort5 View Post
All of the above was informative and gives me and I'm sure others a better understanding and an idea of what to expect. I have done one rider out a few years back when I had my pointy, it was in February 08 to Ladyblower I think, very icy but it was good fun, also scared the crap out of me at points. I knew I had met Slark before, I just had a quick look at the pics.

Who's hiding behind the box? (From said ride out)

Ahhh then you will know all about how these things work . I led that ride as an introduction to rideouts, it went very well. We had a marker issue on that ride too, where there a turning was not marked because the #2 bike had a mechanical problem... The two bikes that went AWOL as a result followed the process of 'stopping because they had not seen any bikes for a while' and called in to me as leader. We picked them up after fixing the bike with a problem. That ride was a good ride and gives you an idea of what to expect of these things.

It's speedy claire in the picture , the guy with his back to us is Pedro. (I'm just in shot on the far left*)

Quote:
I have a feeling the TEC would get annoyed at me, I ride slowly, just ask Slark and Jamessunhill When I was young before kids etc I didn't give a **** and was fast and risky but now you'll be lucky if I overtake on a single road unless it's a tractor or I'm filtering. I love the idea of meeting the people, having a ride etc but I don't do fast. That was one of my main reasons for asking about short cutting it on the North Wales ride, I don't wont to spoil others enjoyment of it just cause I'm a lot slower. By the sounds of some of the reports above after the first 20 miles I'd be 5 miles back lol and tbh that's just not fair on the experienced riders. I can't find it but in one of the posts above says something like know your ability and consider if you should be there (it doesn't say that but something like it). Anyway if there's a shorter day ride somewhere I will come along to one at some point.
TEC knows full well that they ride to the slowest riders pace, so won't get annoyed. We have slower riders on the rideouts all the time, it never causes friction. If TEC wants a bit of a blast, he can hang back 5 minutes then catch up or swap TEC duties at lunch etc. If TEC is not happy being at the back, that is his/her problem - not yours. Just ride your ride, enjoy the roads and banter at the stops.

Consider this - if you are 5 miles behind after 20 miles (your example) that is only 5-8 minutes road time on NSL roads if riding around the limit where appropriate. So at the fuel stops, by the time the leader has filled up, you have arrived and are waiting your turn at the pumps. At food stops, by the time the leader has ordered his tea, you are parked up. What this means is you are NOT holding up the ride, just arriving in time for the banter to start

I would hate for anyone to feel they are not able to come and join in. So much so that if anyone feels that way, drop me a PM. I'm happy to organise a day ride at a pace you feel comfortable with, of length you feel comfortable with, on roads you are comfortable with - so you get the chance to find out how much fun the camaraderie on a ride out is.

*EDIT: Don't know me left from right, which is why you always double check directions from me!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Last edited by Luckypants; 25-03-10 at 10:34 AM.
Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-10, 11:01 AM   #47
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Ed pointed me in the direction of this thread as I am organising the MESS rideout for Easter Sunday. Actually quite interesting to read as it shows the difference in expectations between those that have organised rides and those that haven't.

I would only add what people have already said......we are adults, should always have the route printed off and should always make a point to get the lead / TEC mobile numbers. There was a certain late, great mate of mine, who, as many of you know, would simply turn up at the start with not a care in the world or any clue as to where he was going......this used to drive me nuts!!!! lol. But, he rarely got lost as he understood the marking system well.

People generally however should aim to print the route, know who's leading and read up about the marking system. That way, if for whatever reason the briefing doesn't go to plan (due to traffic, people not being organised at start point etc) then you most people have a general idea.

Ed - Don't take any of what has been said in any negative form. With the exception of the AR, I would say all people need to take more of an interest in what is going on and where they are going, as they are more than likely going to end up being a marker. People like you, who have organised loads of ride od a great job, unfortunately, it seems that this is one of the very few which didn't go to plan.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-10, 11:04 AM   #48
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

PS - to back up what LPants has said.....TEC knows full well that the pace will be varied. One thing about these rideouts people need to remember, is that everyone rides differently and it doesn't matter if it takes someone ten minutes longer getting there......providing you arrive with a smile.....then the rideout is succesful.

I've ridden on many rideouts where the pace has been drastically different.....NW rideouts as an example (or the two I went on were). This actually led to more fun, as it meant the bikes were spaced out, people could follow one or two, or could have some open road to themselves.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-10, 11:14 AM   #49
-Ralph-

Quote:
Oh my this thread is making a point. I know not directly at me (well maybe just an ickle bit...)

I feel mega stoopid
Don't be daft, as Mike said if it wasn't you we wouldn't have had a rideout! It was a great day even despite the rain.The pass over the top to Bala and some of the coastal scenery was well worth getting lost for. We have all ran rideouts where the group gets separated for some reason.

Quote:
...but the requirement is getting rather prescriptive and onerous, for a rideout do we really need instructions that are a page long
No, I don't think we do. I hate people calling them "rules" anyway, we are not at school. Most of Pete's post is common sense and is "advice", not "rules" directed at the rider, not the organiser, so it shouldn't put anyone off organising. For instance, you put your mobile number in the thread, if any individual rider doesn't put that in his phone memory, that's thier problem not yours.

Rictus post is long 'cos it covers three marker systems, a rideout will only use one, and for the riders at least the way it works can be explained in a non-bossy non-patronising way less than five minutes at the beginning of a rideout.

My posts are just advice for the TEC.
Old 25-03-10, 11:32 AM   #50
-Ralph-

Quote:
I have a feeling the TEC would get annoyed at me, I ride slowly, just ask Slark and Jamessunhill
No he wouldn't, if he does he shouldn't be TEC, don't worry about it.

I have recently bought an XT600, big upright comfortable single cylinder thumper of a bike. 0-60 in about 3 minutes and top speed of about 80mph. Makes about 33bhp at the back wheel, but it's nowhere near as quick as restricted SV. It is the biking equivalent of a tractor. You sit up high and can see over all the hedges. Next time I'm TEC that's what I'll be using and I'll be much more interested in the scenery, watching the animals, and looking at pretty cottages than in going fast. You could pootle along at 30mph and I wouldn't give a damn.