SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-04-06, 02:03 PM   #1
kciN

Default 1st Gear selection, after a run, engine up to temp

As yesterday was a nice day, well nice'ish' I decided to ride SV to work, 12 mile run. On way home, I thought, lets have some fun, and took her round a few back roads, as you do!

Problem I had, and this happens on the rarest of occasions, is I pulled up to a major T-junction to turn right out. As I was changing down and braking, I didn't manage to select 1st before stopping. So sat at junction waiting to pull out, knocking the gear lever down like mad to select 1st and it wouldn't select
Couldn't select neutral to let clutch out and get the gears 'whirring' to re-clutch and select 1st. Only thing that seemed to work was hold front brake and let clutch out and stall which would have moved gears, I assume, just enough to select. (If you still follow!! )

Anyhow, once started selected 1st and buzzed up the road at a fair old pace...

(I think the guy behind me at junction wondered what I was doing, but he was patient and never 'tooted' at me, which was good of him!!)

Anyone else ever have trouble selecting 1st.
Old 08-04-06, 02:14 PM   #2
El Saxo

Happens to me sometimes.

I normally just roll the bike forward / backward (only about a foot or so, if that) and try selecting 1st while moving, and it normally selects ok on the first or second attempt.

Disclaimer: I'm only a novice so I'm sure someone will be along to tell you the correct soultion soon, but this works for me <shrug>.

I seem to remember this happening with the CB500 i took my DAS on too, only very occasionally but I did the same thing then...

HTH
Old 08-04-06, 02:15 PM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

yep had this very occasionally on a few bikes the answers seem to be to check the chain is well lubed, adjusted and in god nick, and to rock the bike back and forth a little wih your foot to move the output shaft of the gearbox until it drops neatly into 1st. Also letting the clutch out as far as biting point and then pulling it back in can help without stalling the bike.
Old 08-04-06, 02:46 PM   #4
kwak zzr

happens to me sometimes too, does the sv need an oil change? just done mine and it really does feel like ive got a new gear box.
Old 08-04-06, 03:56 PM   #5
kciN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr
happens to me sometimes too, does the sv need an oil change? just done mine and it really does feel like ive got a new gear box.
No! I changed the oil to a semi-synthetic a couple of months ago and only done about 50 miles since! I also greased the gear linkages under the rubbers, where the 'ball and sockets' are, but that wouldn't affect the internals. (Just good maintenance!)
Old 08-04-06, 05:59 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kciN
No! I changed the oil to a semi-synthetic a couple of months ago and only done about 50 miles since!
Have you checked the oil level. Some people have had similar problems if the oil level is to high ?

Including me

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 06:28 PM   #7
Stig

As fisswheel says, check the oil is at the correct level. Too little or too much oil can make the shifting of gears difficult. Especially 1st.

Also check your clutch adjustment. They do need to be adjusted every now and again as the clutch and cables wear.

At the end of the day, the SV has more than enough torque to pull away in 2nd gear, so if all else fails, do this.

Oh and one final thing, if you find your at a stand still and can't select a gear, jumping down on the gear change will do nothing other than break something.
Old 08-04-06, 08:53 PM   #8
kciN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kciN
No! I changed the oil to a semi-synthetic a couple of months ago and only done about 50 miles since!
Have you checked the oil level. Some people have had similar problems if the oil level is to high ?

Including me
Fizz. That could be it! The level in the sight window does show more than full!
And as Bigape said too, could be the problem. I don't believe it's the clutch as that seems fine, so maybe I need to drain a bit of oil off, down to Max or just under.
Thanks all.
Old 08-04-06, 09:56 PM   #9
Saint Matt

See, really, you should select each gear, then clutch out, then down another gear, rather than going down in one go, not good for it apparently.
Old 10-04-06, 03:53 PM   #10
KayDee

I had an oil change done a couple of weeks ago and I have been noticing dodgy gear changes too, so I checked it they muppets put too much oil it, What's the easiest way to drain some? Just losen the drain nut, let some come out and top if it runs too low?