SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-07-21, 11:50 AM   #9901
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

I can imagine there are often things that go unnoticed by the owner. I hit the ground hard enough the shear two ligaments in a split second. The bike weighed more than me, it must have hit pretty hard too.
The fairing on the opposite side to impact shattered.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 29-07-21 at 07:25 AM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-21, 11:53 AM   #9902
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
insurance companies writing off vehicles for little! It looks to be 'crash' damage, as opposed to a stolen/recovered bike.

Look at this bike, up for sale that would be circa 15K. Only damage in the picture is r/h side ending head cover (head looks fine), r/h side engine protector missing & l/h side engine protector has grazing.
The rest of it looks immaculate still. How is there 8k worth of damage there, even at BMW labour you'd struggle to be at 4K getting them to repair/replace those parts.
The winning bidder can't have thought there was much wrong if they paid £10,120 for it !
ps not saying they were right to buy it.

Last edited by svenrico; 28-07-21 at 01:58 PM.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-21, 01:03 PM   #9903
ethariel

For 10k it's either going to be parted or the visible damage fixed then exported and sold abroad with no mention of a drop in it's new history.

It's all about risk, just imagine the liability if a frame gave out and the bike ploughed into say a bus stop with half a dozen people in it, reports show that the frame was weakened in the previous crash but the insurance company gave it an Ok good to ride with a new engine cover installed.............

Write it off then sell it to a dealer and let them shoulder the risk of returning it to the road/parting it out

If your 3rd party, well thats a different story lol
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-21, 05:16 PM   #9904
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
The winning bidder can't have thought there was much wrong if they paid £10,120 for it !
ps not saying they were right to buy it.
It's a bargain at that price. They've got a good bike for 3k less than it should be (including 2K of repairs)

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-21, 05:17 PM   #9905
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethariel View Post
For 10k it's either going to be parted or the visible damage fixed then exported and sold abroad with no mention of a drop in it's new history.

It's all about risk, just imagine the liability if a frame gave out and the bike ploughed into say a bus stop with half a dozen people in it, reports show that the frame was weakened in the previous crash but the insurance company gave it an Ok good to ride with a new engine cover installed.............

Write it off then sell it to a dealer and let them shoulder the risk of returning it to the road/parting it out

If your 3rd party, well thats a different story lol
It says it's a Cat N in the description. The insurance have declared the bike safe for repair/parts. If the frame is damaged it's a parts only bike and cannot be put back on the road as is (new frame & numbers needed).

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-21, 05:41 PM   #9906
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Would be £14k from a BMW dealer.. but that would come with 2 years warranty, BMW customer service and Europewide recovery cover for 2 years. If it's a CAT N I wouldn't say that was a bargain. By the time it's repaired it will be near BMW price but without the warranty and backup and it'll have the CAT N on the V5 reducing it's value too.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-21, 02:39 PM   #9907
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Rain. I've been getting out for half an hour a time all day trying to cut the top of my neighbours unkempt laurel hedge that he never prunes. When I get too wet I come back in and I'm getting fed up of it... So far it's not very straight either, which is annoying too. Still, the bits I've done look so much better!
Old 01-08-21, 07:02 AM   #9908
daktulos

Half a glass of wine over my laptop keyboard last night. Now it won't turn on
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-21, 07:38 AM   #9909
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
Half a glass of wine over my laptop keyboard last night. Now it won't turn on
I did something similar (with a substance we will NOT talk about) mine would turn on (the power switch wasn't on the keyboard) but I would get double strikes on many keys.
I took the keyboard out of the laptop, washed it with water, sprayed it with contact cleaner and let it dry in the sun for several hours. That was 9 years ago and it's still working (a Toshiba Satellite).
Old 01-08-21, 11:43 AM   #9910
redtrummy

Sugar is the killer - in a previous life I maintained Telecom equipment and the associated switchboards. A swbd wet with water there was a chance it could dry out ok. Sweet coffee no chance, if you got it working a few weeks later complainants of sticky keys would be heard.
Take the battery out and remove the case if you can. Look to see what has been contaminated and clean the well if you can. A pencil eraser can be useful. Look for any on board fuses and check. Retry if it still does not work consider removing the hard disc and get it copied. What can happen is migration between the circuit board tracks so do not leave it wet. If that fails Seekers course cold be worth trying or a visit to a computer shop. Best of luck
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote