SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-11-04, 10:26 PM   #1
Jelster

Default Amber lens covers

Can anybody tell me if it's illeagal to show amber lights at the front ? I've ordered an amber lens cover for the GSXR (to go with the amber colour of the bike) as I want to stand out in the traffic....

Old 15-11-04, 11:05 PM   #2
Carsick

Default Re: Amber lens covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster
as I want to stand out in the traffic....
Suuuuuure that's the reason. I'm thinking Gixer boy wants to look kewl
Old 15-11-04, 11:06 PM   #3
Carsick

To answer your question, I've always been under the impression it was illegal to have headlights that weren't white on the front.
There was discussion over this in a thread about black lenses, though.
Old 16-11-04, 07:49 AM   #4
Sudoxe

I believe yellow/amber lights are not strictly illigal. But i might be wrong.

Dan
Old 16-11-04, 10:54 AM   #5
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudoxe
I believe yellow/amber lights are not strictly illigal. But i might be wrong.

Dan
Yellow are OK, but will look crap on my bike Hence going for amber...

Can any of our resident law enforcement types give me a clue please .... PM me if you prefer.
Old 16-11-04, 11:06 AM   #6
Grinch

I think amber should be fine... if the lense was red then your liable to get pulled. Same as you should have no whilte light showing at the back, also they tend not to like blues and greens.
Old 20-11-04, 11:53 PM   #7
Sincs

Why change the colour of the lights when white alerts drivers of your presence to a much greater degree.

Yellow headlights can be mistaken for road lights, house/gate lights, push bike lights etc etc

So I am forced to ask - whats the point?
Old 21-11-04, 12:22 AM   #8
Jelster

Ask Topcat why he rides with yellow covers. They are distinctive, thet stand out, people see them because they are not "normal". If people don't look they won't see, but if they do, they make a difference.

Old 21-11-04, 03:45 PM   #9
embee
Mega Poster

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/s...91796_en_1.htm

very long winded, but in essence requirements are for a solo motorcycle to have at least one headlamp in "white or yellow". Quite what the interpretation between yellow and amber is, I don't know. If it's basically what could be called "yellow" you should be fine (usual disclaimers apply! )

Any lamp showing to the front must NOT be red, and no colour OTHER THAN red can show to the rear (indicators etc excepted).

There are a host of other restrictions on blue, green etc associated with emergency vehicles, no flashing lights other than direction indicators/hazards, side repeaters and reflectors etc.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-04, 04:16 PM   #10
rictus01
Mega Poster

don't know the letter of the law on this one, but I owned a PC800 a few years back which had the second element in the indicators, so they were always on (American market model) it failed it's mot on it, so had to pull the wire, and it passed, re-attached the wire after. although I never got pulled for it.

so in maybe a problem?

cheers Mark
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote