SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-12-04, 09:22 AM   #1
Junior

Default Biggest Scare

What was your biggest scare on your bike (near misses only. crashes don't count, as the fear factor is obvious)?

Mine was riding through a 60km/h left hand sweeper. I was just back on the throttle when a ground hog (gofer) ran out in front of me. I had 3 choices.

1) Grab front brakes, stand bike up, go over a bridge onto another road below, eminent death.

2) turn more, maybe lowside, and possibly get run over by the car behind me probable death.

3) grit my teeth and flatten the little bugger ( posible fall )

I chose option 3. It made the most disgusting "thud" when the front wheel hit it. I was leaned over at the time, and fully expected to fall. Luck was on my side cause I stayed up. I looked back to see mr gopher greak dancing in the road ( poor thing). I decided to call it a day and went home shortly after that.
Old 10-12-04, 10:41 AM   #2
BaggaZee

Was on a training course out in the country (Newbury) and found a fantastic road to come home on, tearing along when the right-hander tightened, no problem, ****, the camber changes & drops off too, towards that barbed wire fence, oohh, that gravel's not ideal! Pucker.
In that split second of telling myself to ignore all the **** scary stuff and look where the hell I was wanting to go the front came up off the change in camber and I was closer to soiling myself than ever before or since.
Then I found myself out the other side, eyes wide, swallowing hard and the thump from my heart seemed to be wobbling the bars. I slowed to a crawl, opened my visor and tried to enjoy the scenery.
I feel a bit shaky just thinking about it.

Who's idea was this anyway?! Mummy!
Old 10-12-04, 11:13 AM   #3
Mike1234

Default :-)

Flat out round Corams at Snetterton on the last lap of a SuperSport 600 race on an ex-Sanyo Honda CBR600 British SuperSport bike.

If you've ever been there you can't see the edge of the track due to the camber.

Overtaking another rider who starts moving over to overtake a back marker.

No choice but to take them both and rapidly running out off track. Can't brake or ease off as wouldn't make it round the corner.

Lean over slightly more with my knee of the deck to find my leg is caught between the fairing and the track, i.e. no more room for anything.

Pray a lot and hope I've tightened my line just enough. Manage to get both wheels on the white line but somehow make it round both other bikes.

Came in to the pits as white as a sheet and shaking after that one!
Old 10-12-04, 11:19 AM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Hacking round a corner pretty quickly bikes lent right over, having to pick my knee up as I dont have knee sliders, then coming across a tractor with about 15 cars queued up behind it, picking the bike up and getting it straight and braking hard and manging to stop behind the last car

I thought I wasnt going to stop and sh*t my pants

Or the other day when I lost the front on diesel on a roundabout and managed to get my foot out on the ground and used that to pick the bike up.. Strangely enough my brother who was behind me thought this was hilarious.. I quote

"arms and legs everywhere that was p*ss funny*

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-04, 11:54 AM   #5
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggaZee
Was on a training course out in the country (Newbury) and found a fantastic road to come home on, tearing along when the right-hander tightened, no problem, sh*t, the camber changes & drops off too, towards that barbed wire fence, oohh, that gravel's not ideal! Pucker.
In that split second of telling myself to ignore all the sh*t scary stuff and look where the hell I was wanting to go the front came up off the change in camber and I was closer to soiling myself than ever before or since.
Then I found myself out the other side, eyes wide, swallowing hard and the thump from my heart seemed to be wobbling the bars. I slowed to a crawl, opened my visor and tried to enjoy the scenery.
I feel a bit shaky just thinking about it.

Who's idea was this anyway?! Mummy!
Seems like a strange question, but I find those stories good to learn from (ie the right thing to do to stay shiny side up) Besides, my bike has been put away since mid october, so I am kinda jonesing.
Old 10-12-04, 11:58 AM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Well this is what I have found

1. Look where you want to go, dont look at what you are about to crash into

2. Dont grab the front brake it makes the bike sit up and run straight

3. Stay on the throttle if you are going round a corner and think you are gonna run off the road, in fact wind the throttle on a bit.. its transfers the weight to the back of the bike which makes the bike turn tighter

4. Drag the back brake it has the same effect as winding the throttle on, in circumstance 3 above

hope this helps

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-04, 12:01 PM   #7
BaggaZee

Your'e absolutely right Junior, I'd definitely rather learn from other peoples mistakes!
I don't know about the US mags but even the most laddish of bike mags over here are full of good theory on how to stay right side up.
I'm sure it was only reading over and over again about not fixating on what I'm trying to avoid that saved me that day.
Old 10-12-04, 12:05 PM   #8
MavUK

My biggest was probably about 6 weeks after I got my first bike (GPZ).

I was in traffic, been riding for 1/2 hour or so. But it was cold and the traffic wasn't moving too well so the tyres were still cold.

Ashappens in holland everyone suddenly did an emergency stop. I hit the brakes and the front end slides out from under me.

I let go of the brakes and the bike start to sway side to side. After what seemed an eternity, but was probably only a couple of secs, I thought I was going to hit the deck and put a foot down (Thank god for decent boots!) and that sorted it. Except I'm still doing 100kmph and everyone else has stopped.

Got the bike to a controlled stop and carried on to work shaken badley. I decided against topiing to recover as I probably wouldn't have got back on the bike!

Ever since then I've been more careful about getting the tyres warm, the condition of the tyres (they were old, dry tyres that were changed a week after the incident) and I've always been nervous with the front end - something I want to get rid of, the nerves not the front

Stu
Old 10-12-04, 01:16 PM   #9
kjames

filtering on the A40, in hindsight not really concertrating and thinking more about work.. anyway, filtering past a a truck (the tipper truck type ones) on a bend in between lane 2 -3. the traffic in lane 2 is going quicker than 3 and then suddenly realise i'm filtering between 2 tipper trucks on a bend and that one of them is running wide out of his lane.....

very luckily i didn't grab a handfull of front brake and end up under the wheels, but slowly eased off and a bit of back brake and let them both trundle past..

defo brown pants moment.
i learnt not filter when only half concentrating and to fully look ahead and work out what you might be filtering past as the traffic moves.
Old 10-12-04, 01:19 PM   #10
kjames

filtering on the A40, in hindsight not really concertrating and thinking more about work.. anyway, filtering past a a truck (the tipper truck type ones) on a bend in between lane 2 -3. the traffic in lane 2 is going quicker than 3 and then suddenly realise i'm filtering between 2 tipper trucks on a bend and that one of them is running wide out of his lane.....

very luckily i didn't grab a handfull of front brake and end up under the wheels, but slowly eased off and a bit of back brake and let them both trundle past..

defo brown pants moment.
i learnt not filter when only half concentrating and to fully look ahead and work out what you might be filtering past as the traffic moves.