SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Is she right?
Yes, they should be banned, so should hats, beards etc 17 38.64%
No, what a load of crap 18 40.91%
Typical BBC... 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-05-05, 11:16 AM   #31
Balky001
Mega Poster

Is this new at all? OK, maybe for a shopping centre. But the local corner shop only allows 2 school children in at a time. Now, does he have a right to brand all school children as light handed, even though his business could go bust with shop lifting being a serious problem. Or should he bow to the righteous and see his business go to the wall. I'm pretty certain pubs clubs restaurants have operated a dress code for a while now haven't they. What's the big issue with not wearing a hoody. I defend rights but really, only ones worth fighting for. Sure, we all need to ensure there's no abuse or unnecessary escalation of censorship and control etc etc etc
Old 13-05-05, 11:31 AM   #32
Bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath

Every little civil liberty is worth fighting for because they're slowly being snatched from us due to idiots in every corner. What is needed in every area of life is common sense.
You're very wise and I will now be following you around, stalker like, from now on!
Old 13-05-05, 11:46 AM   #33
Nutkins

So, I can't wear a naff bit of clothing, at Bluewater. Big deal.

Twenty years ago you couldn't wear lace up Doctor Martins in Southend on a bank holiday because there was a fear you might feel the urge to kick someone's head in. So, the laces were taken away.

That didn't affect my life either.
Old 13-05-05, 11:54 AM   #34
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
This is no different from people saying bikes are dangerous and a nuisance and them getting banned from the roads. Every little civil liberty is worth fighting for because they're slowly being snatched from us due to idiots in every corner. What is needed in every area of life is common sense.
Common sense - exactly. Bikes - hoodies, different extremes. Confusing different extremities plays in to the liberalist hands and nothing will ever get done in case someones feelings are hurt and they can't do what they want. A bit of order and direction wouldn't go amiss in most areas. I really do understand your argument but is has to be balanced with the problem. If you believe in no censhorship, rules or laws as it may infringe on any one individuals right - then you'd live in chaos. Or Haringey in the early 90's.

It a sad day when you can't even run your business in a reasonable and safe enviroment without being demonised.
Old 13-05-05, 11:55 AM   #35
Nutkins

Quote:
And the point went sailing over Nutkins head and off to the horizon, never to be seen again
Not quite, old chum. I think you may have missed the sacastic tone in my message.
Try reading it, from a hoodlum's (Hoodlum, did you see what I did there? ) point of view.
Old 13-05-05, 11:56 AM   #36
Flamin_Squirrel

Like I said, everyones in favour of restricting the freedoms of people that aren't them.

But as the saying goes, what goes around comes around. I just wish people would see that so it can be stoped
Old 13-05-05, 12:02 PM   #37
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Like I said, everyones in favour of restricting the freedoms of people that aren't them.

But as the saying goes, what goes around comes around. I just wish people would see that so it can be stoped
I see where you are coming from but fear of the consequences should not stop you making a decision you believe to be right. In this case, people are being restricted either way.
Old 13-05-05, 12:06 PM   #38
Rob S (Yella)

Have you ever been in a market when a gang of youths Hood up and crowed around a stall and start blatantly nicking and threatening anybody who interferes with a kickin.

I have.

My dad is a Market trader and is only ever robbed by hoodies or eastern europeans or eastern european hoodies. And this is regular even though that part of the market has CCTV coverage. They are immune to CCTV because of the hoods. Thats why Bluwater is banning them and I have to agree in principle. Thats not a total ban but in an indoor or public places and in groups then yes. BAN THEM.
Old 13-05-05, 12:09 PM   #39
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S (Yella)
Have you ever been in a market when a gang of youths Hood up and crowed around a stall and start blatantly nicking and threatening anybody who interferes with a kickin.

I have.

My dad is a Market trader and is only ever robbed by hoodies or eastern europeans or eastern european hoodies. And this is regular even though that part of the market has CCTV coverage. They are immune to CCTV because of the hoods. Thats why Bluwater is banning them and I have to agree in principle. Thats not a total ban but in an indoor or public places and in groups then yes. BAN THEM.
Rob - people that have been affected or intimidated by these people seem to be in favour of the ban. Boris Johnson doesn't work in a market stall and probably has chavs shot on site (not saying hoodies are chavs, just saying BJ has them shot)- but is against the censorship. Nice for those that can live in an harmonic ivory tower
Old 13-05-05, 12:18 PM   #40
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel

I see where you are coming from but fear of the consequences should not stop you making a decision you believe to be right. In this case, people are being restricted either way.
That's the same ludicrous argument used by the people who brought you the bans on smacking/guns/smoking/fox hunting.