SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-04-07, 03:24 PM   #1
Taipan

Default I wished I'd gone naked, I need a bar conversion methinks.

As much as I love the Sv the riding position is doing me wrists in. I really wanted a nake done but this seemed too good a bike to miss. I thought I'd get used to the riding position, but don't seem to be.

Anyone fitted hawk Gt or some other bars on theirs to take the weight of yoru wrists?

I gather a handlebar conversion causes problems whne the bars hit the fairing?
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-07, 03:25 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: I wished I'd gone naked, I need a bar conversion methinks.

Just as an aside, have you tried adjusting the position of the brake and clutch levers ? I did on my SV and it made the riding position much more comfortable.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-07, 04:01 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

LSL do a Match bar kit which are higher but also flatter... But SV bars already have a fair old rise from teh fairly low yokes, so I'm not sure how much further they go. LSL are pretty good for designing them to fit within the fairing, though sometimes they recommend impeding the steering lock which is less good.

Helibars? Or maybe Sun Risers?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-07, 05:29 PM   #4
gettin2dizzy

grab the bike with your legs! they'll get much stronger quicker and it'll take all the weight off your wrists. You don't want to be resting hard on the bars!
Old 19-04-07, 05:44 PM   #5
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
grab the bike with your legs! they'll get much stronger quicker and it'll take all the weight off your wrists. You don't want to be resting hard on the bars!
I only do that under hard braking or cornering. Wouldn't riding like that all the time do your back in? - constantly leaning forward without using your arms for support
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-07, 05:49 PM   #6
Kate

Sitting back a little and putting more weight through your lower body can help too.

Also, how tall are you? If you get a lower seat that can help the position and take some pressure off your wrists.

I wouldn't have said the position is that bad on an SV? If you grip the bars too hard or have all your weight on your arms all the time then yeah, I would expect you to have wrist problems.
Old 19-04-07, 05:56 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

When you say Hawk GT do I understand you're in the US?

The conversion you want is http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_clipons/

In the UK the Bros (equivalent of the Hawk GT) had lower type clip-ons, and I've hunted high and low for the import/Hawk types.

I've just got hold of some FJ1200 (other FJ's will do) clip-ons which will be just about right, but do need a minor modification to clear the top yoke. I'll fit them swapped left/right to get the tank clearance and bar angle ideal.

FJ bars are steel, the downside is a little extra weight, the upside is that I can weld them at home for the reservoir mount and even fit location tabs for the anti-turn bolts into the underside of the yoke if I feel so inclined. Painted silver they'll look fine.

The FJ bar ends weigh a ton, solid lumps of steel, obviously to counteract the high frequency vibes from the L4, but I suspect the SV won't need that much mass so I'll experiment a bit.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-07, 06:09 PM   #8
ccurts

Sorry Guys, but naked is best, more fun, less weight, effortless wheelies. Everyone just goes for the looks of thar fairing. Tarts!
Old 19-04-07, 06:48 PM   #9
Taipan

Hi All

I did some searching and did try adjusting the levers but it didn't help.

I've tried adapting my posture but cna't sem to get out ofleaning on the bars.

I'm in the UK but am familiar with the Hawk Gt and Bros. I had a Bros for years and loved it The Sv is like coming home for me Anyway, the Bros Mk2 had higher clip ons like the Hawk GT. I know quite afew people on the hawkgt.com mailing list and may try to source some over there, especially with the exchange rate being so favourable!

From what I found whne searching the archives, I thought the sun bar risers were no more as the guy had stopped manufacturing them? Heli bars would be nice but very expensive. What about early VFR bars, anyone looked into fitting them?
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-07, 06:53 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

If the bike is a good example I'd sell it and buy a naked one.They are generally less popular and hence cheaper,and I think cheaper to insure?