SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-10-08, 09:57 AM   #1
RichT

Default Show Plate Size

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a plate and I'm unsure what size i should get... hence I thought I'd consult the collective knowledge (and opinions) of the Org.

What have you got and what would you recommend? I want it to be sensible, not ridiculous.

Tail tidy fitted to K6 Pointy.

I'm not sure how to make this a poll. Or at least how to add my poll options. Any help with that would be good too.

Cheers
All.
Old 06-10-08, 10:02 AM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Show Plate Size

I went one inch down both ways.

However with the new laws coming in on Nov 1st I am seriously considering going back to standard from Halfords or the like.

At the moment we can get away with using them as number-plates as long as they are reasonable - ie Cops etc can read them from 20m

However with the crackdown on plates having to have the right details etc, I can see the law cracking down harder.

So my thought at the moment are "is it worth it".

I am willing to take a risk when I am gambling on whether a cop is going to be in a good mood or not, but if ALL cops are on the lookout.....

Who's to say they wont run image analysis software on ALL plates going through video cameras looking for the standard marking (so text at the bottom left) or actually looking for illegal characteristics and flag those up -

█╬╬╬╬(•)iŻi▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 10:11 AM   #3
RichT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
I went one inch down both ways.

However with the new laws coming in on Nov 1st I am seriously considering going back to standard from Halfords or the like.

At the moment we can get away with using them as number-plates as long as they are reasonable - ie Cops etc can read them from 20m

However with the crackdown on plates having to have the right details etc, I can see the law cracking down harder.

I am willing to take a risk when I am gambling on whether a cop is going to be in a good mood or not, but if ALL cops are on the lookout.....

Who's to say they wont run image analysis software on ALL plates going through video cameras looking for the standard marking (so text at the bottom left) or actually looking for illegal characteristics and flag those up -
Fair points - cheers. Certainly worth consideration.

Is it a legal requirement to have the strip on the LH side? i.e. country and EU mark.
Old 06-10-08, 10:15 AM   #4
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthoms View Post
Is it a legal requirement to have the strip on the LH side? i.e. country and EU mark.
no, however you will require some kind of GB identification if you travel to "yerp"

i have a 7x5" on the SV and i'd be a bit nervous if i lived in n.wales, but on the island i'm not concerned at all, it's bordering on taking the mick with a border and pithy slogan underneath though
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 10:22 AM   #5
G
Mega Poster

Mine is pretty much supposed to be a magnet for police, yet I have done 4k on this bike with this plate and not had one bit of an issue. I have been followed to a honda dealers by a police bike with no comment, and had the bike looked over by the police in matlock checking tax, insurance and tyre with even a blink of an eyelid.

But I would echo the below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post

I'm considering whether 'it is worth it'. If the penalties were worse it would be a no brainer, but as it is at the moment I will probably leave it until my first £30 fine, then get a square one that only a little bit smaller.
Old 06-10-08, 10:35 AM   #6
neillfergie

its simple, if your riding sensibly the cops will leave you alone,

if your being a nob they will pull you for anything small they can find.
Old 06-10-08, 11:07 AM   #7
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillfergie View Post
if your being a nob they will pull you for anything small they can find.

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
Old 06-10-08, 11:18 AM   #8
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

as for show plates becoming impossible to get hold of:

http://www.craigsplates.com/news/det...now-in-ireland

whether the police will want to be wasting their time clamping down on riders who are riding sensibly yet not displaying a 100% to code plate we'll have to wait and see, i'd like to think they're sensible enough to realise it's a load of crap, but they might well be getting leant on by ****wit suits who haven't the first clue about good policing...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
Old 06-10-08, 11:22 AM   #9
G
Mega Poster

HAHAHAHA that is brilliant.....I bet the goverment hadnt even thought of that....I know I didnt.

My local signwriters now offer car memrobilia....

'you can now have your reg plate put on a reflective perspex backing to any size you want, from giant A4 size to key ring size' 'Perfect for hanging in the garage or marking your parking space as yours'
Old 06-10-08, 11:34 AM   #10
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post

I never had any problems when I rode with this plate for 18 months, but my ex wuld get pulled up and checked for the plate on the Rover quite regularly because of the spacing, even though it was well within the law once they'd checked.