SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-03-07, 12:41 PM   #1
Caddy2000

Default Front brake question

I have a couple of questions:

The first is what size disks do we have on the pointy S?
This sort of leads into the second....
The new Bandit 1250 has a 4 pot caliper fitted on 310mm disks. They are on RWU forks. What's the feasibility of fitting them on to the SV? I know that if the diameter of the disk is different then that will have an effect on the placement of the caliper, but if that can be got round then why not?
BTW I'm not really that interested in the GSXR front end conversion, and that is why I am thinking along these lines.

Also is it the same caliper that the SV1000 uses?

Just a thought like, I do not need anybody shooting it down before it has a chance to get off the ground. If there are issues what are they, and what are the potential solutions to these issues? (No - the GSXR conv is not a solution)

Cheers All

Paul
Old 07-03-07, 03:55 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Front brake question

Specifiations and manuals for all the models are on thee main page, you can get all the information for them.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 04:43 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

SV thou is different I think. I'm sure it has forks and brakes from a GSXR-750, I think is the K3 model but I'm not 100% sure.

I dont know about the other brake stuff, but if I were you I'd be looking to re-spring your front forks and maybe change the fork oil. I found that on Liz's SV with a resprung front end ( progressives ) the brakes work better than they do on my curvey with a stock front end ( apart from fork oil )

Even with better front brakes, because the SV front suspension is a bit squidgy you wont get all the benefit that you might from a brake upgrade if you leave the front forks standard.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 05:57 PM   #4
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy2000 View Post
BTW I'm not really that interested in the GSXR front end conversion
you can put gsx-r callipers on SV forks without swapping the whole front end for a gsx-r one

you used to be able to get adaptor plates from here:

http://highspeedassault.com/sv.htm

but, sadly, they don't make them any longer. you may be able to get a set from someone on the forum though

the usual caveats about beefing up the springs/oil before upgrading the brakes apply
Old 07-03-07, 07:11 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Thing is, you can't just bolt GSXR calipers to stock forks and expect it to work, you'll get tons more dive on the brakes and not be able to use the extra power. SV brakes on good forks will stop you faster than good brakes on SV forks IMO.

SV thou uses GSXR750 calipers as Fizzwheel says, and smaller discs- think they're 310mm. B12 has totally different forks to the SV so it'll probably not be a simple swap- I'd be surprised if the new B12 forks are much different from the SV thou in fact.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 08:12 PM   #6
Caddy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Specifiations and manuals for all the models are on thee main page, you can get all the information for them.

Cheers Mark.
Cheers mate, I've got the spec for the SV650S k3, I just wondered if the new Bandit had new brakes (heard a rumour - or dreamt it), and if it did, would the 4 pots fit?
Hope the Knee's coming along well Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
SV thou is different I think. I'm sure it has forks and brakes from a GSXR-750, I think is the K3 model but I'm not 100% sure.

I dont know about the other brake stuff, but if I were you I'd be looking to re-spring your front forks and maybe change the fork oil. I found that on Liz's SV with a resprung front end ( progressives ) the brakes work better than they do on my curvey with a stock front end ( apart from fork oil )

Even with better front brakes, because the SV front suspension is a bit squidgy you wont get all the benefit that you might from a brake upgrade if you leave the front forks standard.
I've already uprated the suspension with Ohlins front and rear, and about to drop Matris cartridges in (when they arrive). I've also got braided line which have increased the stopping power greatly - they could still do with more feel though, and I was bored at work and the thought popped into my brain....

Any takers?
Old 07-03-07, 08:14 PM   #7
Caddy2000

Talking Re: Front brake question

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Thing is, you can't just bolt GSXR calipers to stock forks and expect it to work, you'll get tons more dive on the brakes and not be able to use the extra power. SV brakes on good forks will stop you faster than good brakes on SV forks IMO.

SV thou uses GSXR750 calipers as Fizzwheel says, and smaller discs- think they're 310mm. B12 has totally different forks to the SV so it'll probably not be a simple swap- I'd be surprised if the new B12 forks are much different from the SV thou in fact.
Just got the 'B12' bit mate
Old 07-03-07, 08:25 PM   #8
kwak zzr

sv thou brakes are a big improvement on its little brothers brakes.
Old 07-03-07, 08:27 PM   #9
Caddy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
sv thou brakes are a big improvement on its little brothers brakes.

Rub it in why don't you
Old 07-03-07, 08:30 PM   #10
21QUEST
Mega Poster

All I'll say is watch this space.

I'm in the process of trying to sorting out some adapter plates so I can use the calipers off the SV1000, GSXr600(K1-K4) and GSXR 750(K1-K3). They'll be CNC machines out of Aluminium and anodised to what ever colour takes my fancy. My reason for wanting to change the calipers is simple. I find four piston calipers easier to maintain.

It'll be going on standard forks by the way . I'm happy with the springs on my bike for what I use it for and with the oil change I've just done, It's working good for me.

My initial thought on caliper change was the same as most have said here but actually when you think of it, that's not strictly the case.
Braking pressure is modulated by your right hand like and so if any thing you should be able to modulate the about of braking better with the GIXER calipers .

As the little man said "watch this space" if you like as this is one of my "thought of" MODs that I'm definitely making time for.

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote