SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-03-19, 08:21 AM   #11
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Piston slap or valves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I’ve just had a look at my bike (K6) and I’m pretty sure you could get away with just taking the radiator off (5 minute job, drain half the coolant, one electrical connection, 2 bolts and 2 clips) then you should get clear access to the cam cover.
You can even do it without draining the coolant, just unhook the radiator and let it dangle on the hoses (supporting it on a box or similar).
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-19, 10:24 PM   #12
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
You can even do it without draining the coolant, just unhook the radiator and let it dangle on the hoses (supporting it on a box or similar).

I think you are right - as long as one is careful (maybe wrap the radiator in some bubblewrap to protect it) then I think there might be just enough room to do the checking bit. If the shims need changing it might be a bit cramped, but one could decide whether to remove the radiator for that bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20-03-19, 07:41 AM   #13
Fen Tiger

Based on the vid clip (and I know microphones can distort the sound so just guessing) I would be thinking cam chain rattle especially as it quietens off briefly when you increase the revs.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 09:47 AM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen Tiger View Post
Based on the vid clip (and I know microphones can distort the sound so just guessing) I would be thinking cam chain rattle especially as it quietens off briefly when you increase the revs.
The fact that noise goes away as soon as engine is warm points to something expanding, but doesn't cam chain stay noisy even when warm ?

A lot of SVorgers in USA post that cam to valve clearance actually gets slightly larger as engine warms up, so that should get noisier as well.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 20-03-19 at 09:49 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 11:50 AM   #15
Fen Tiger

It will be interesting to know what the problem is. It just sounds like a worn cam chain to me. I am probably wrong. I often am ��
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 05:19 PM   #16
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by isutty5 View Post
Here's a clip I recorded of the sound of cold startup.

https://youtu.be/_FvQY8O7JdU

Proper rattle. But as I say, completely disappears when warm and sounds happy.

I checked the exhaust header and it's perfect so it's not coming from there.

Haven't tried pulling clutch in but will have a go tomorrow, although I feel like I would have noticed as I tend to hold clutch at stops rather frequently.

In the case that it is piston slap, is that something I should be worried about? Should I expect total failure at some point soon?

Valve clearances were never checked on the front, only the rear when new cam chain was put in which was a joke cost of £700 alone!

I don't know, what do you reckon cost would be for clearance check on the front? I'm not in a hurry as I've got the Bandit now but I don't know whether I'm up for spending another £300+ trying to sort it
Hi isutty5,

Have you managed to eliminate the clutch/transmission from the list of suspects yet (or not perhaps)?

Have you had any success searching for the noise with a stethoscope?

I'm intrigued - what is causing the noise?

Alan
Old 20-03-19, 06:02 PM   #17
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Here's a clip I recorded of the sound of cold startup.

https://youtu.be/_FvQY8O7JdU

Proper rattle. But as I say, completely disappears when warm and sounds happy.

I checked the exhaust header and it's perfect so it's not coming from there.

Haven't tried pulling clutch in but will have a go tomorrow, although I feel like I would have noticed as I tend to hold clutch at stops rather frequently.

In the case that it is piston slap, is that something I should be worried about? Should I expect total failure at some point soon?

Valve clearances were never checked on the front, only the rear when new cam chain was put in which was a joke cost of £700 alone!

I don't know, what do you reckon cost would be for clearance check on the front? I'm not in a hurry as I've got the Bandit now but I don't know whether I'm up for spending another £300+ trying to sort it
Sounds like the other Cam-chain worn to me.I wouldn't like to use the engine for too long with that kind of noise.

Here's how my SV sounds with the Slip-on exhaust in a Metal garage recorded on a Smart phone,

https://app.box.com/file/218563217522

My 10 penn'th.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 20-03-19 at 06:05 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 07:52 PM   #18
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I think I'd want to be looking at the cam chain, the tensioner, and the tensioner blade.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 10:05 PM   #19
isutty5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen Tiger View Post
I hear you, but when the engine is warm, the noise is gone completely, and I mean completely. It can't be cam chain! I've had a cam chain worn beyond limit and the noise was always their regardless of engine temp.

I've not gotten round to checking clutch yet but I will get to it this week! Along with a stethoscope!

As far as cracking the cover off for checking clearances, do I need a replacement gasket or is it a re-useable rubber gasket?
Also I should be able to depress the cam chain and check whether it's loose while the cover is off right?

Cheers.
isutty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-19, 07:11 AM   #20
Othen

Quote:
I hear you, but when the engine is warm, the noise is gone completely, and I mean completely. It can't be cam chain! I've had a cam chain worn beyond limit and the noise was always their regardless of engine temp.

I've not gotten round to checking clutch yet but I will get to it this week! Along with a stethoscope!

As far as cracking the cover off for checking clearances, do I need a replacement gasket or is it a re-useable rubber gasket?
Also I should be able to depress the cam chain and check whether it's loose while the cover is off right?

Cheers.
I think you would need a new gasket. part #: 11173-19F01

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts...1173-19F01-000

You may download a good service manual and the parts list (free) from here (see pp 3-109 I think):

https://www.carlsalter.com/suzuki-service-manuals.asp

Last edited by Othen; 21-03-19 at 02:53 PM.