SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-08-19, 06:03 PM   #11
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: How was your day?

definite red face department, a series of events aligned with my ignorance:

1) The H1 leans a lot on its propstand, to the left obviously.
2) The alleged defective spark was on #3, the right hand cylinder
3) The H1F has a magneto style CDI
4) I'd been running the bike a few times to check voltages
5) The fuel tap is leaking and has a cup under it making turning on difficult, so I only turned it on occasionally for a brief time.
6) The fuel tap is to the left of the centre line of the bike.

All the clues are there...

The magneto CDI requires a firm kick or you don't get a spark, I was kicking slowly like a "normal" bike to look for a spark.

Since the fuel tap was leaking and difficult to turn on because of the catchment cup I frequently didn't bother.

I'd run it a few times to check voltages and drained the carbs. Turned the fuel on briefly which filled #1 and #2 but didn't give it time to fill #3

Because of the lean angle and the fuel tap location it takes longer for #3 carb to fill.

... it was sparking fine, there was no fuel in the #3 carb.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-19, 06:16 PM   #12
Craig380
Mega Poster

It's a (re)learning curve innit!
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-19, 11:49 PM   #13
Flybuster

Thumbs up Re: How was your day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
It's a (re)learning curve innit!
And a cheap fix.
Flybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-19, 06:54 AM   #14
Seeker
Mega Poster

... now the oil pump is leaking (again). I don't think I've ever seen any bike leak as much as this one, I need a bigger drip tray. They used to say that the only time the McDonnell Douglas F4 Phantom stopped leaking was when it was empty. I think this H1 must be the same.

She goes back to the refurbisher today to get these niggles sorted, despite this week's hell, I still think she looks beautiful, just a pity she hates me.
Old 24-08-19, 05:35 PM   #15
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I wouldn't voluntarily swap any of the older bikes I used to own for my AL7, we tend to forget how much both cars and bikes have improved - unto we get a reminder. I remember British parallel twins that used to turn your fingers white, two strokes that had to have the plugs de-whiskered on a frequent basis, tyres that were deadly on any surface........and crap handling...

'you should never meet your heroes' is one of the most telling phrases in any language...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 24-08-19 at 08:38 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-19, 11:22 AM   #16
Seeker
Mega Poster

The H1 returned from triplesworkshop yesterday; a new fuel tap, replacement rev counter, new oil tank sight glass, new oil feed line to oil pump and (allegedly) all leaks stopped and a new seat limit rod (stops the seat from opening too far).

I decide to ride today...

... and the kickstart doesn't return you have to pull it up which, after 3 or 4 kicks, starts to get tedious. Anyway, I get her started with much smoke (more than what I expected) and I set off, 2 miles later I'm out of petrol - Neil hadn't bothered putting any in when he was riding it. Reserve was working so I get to the petrol station and fill up, bend down to switch the tap back to main and notice petrol leaking down the hoses to 2 carbs. Not again! It only just came back from having a petrol leak fixed.
This time is different it looks like the hose is just loose on the fuel tap spigot despite having a spring clip, there isn't enough tubing to reterminate when I measure it - it measures out at 5.5mm i/d and so I order some 5mm and 5.5mm tubing and park it back in the garage.
I'm beginning to think that hanging it on the wall may be a better idea than trying to ride it.

Either I'm getting used to it (unlikely in 30-40 miles) or it's not vibrating as much, so there is that on the other hand these first generation disk brakes are truly awful. I need to sort out the rear brake (drum) because the lever's too high for me but it looks like the centre exhaust may need to be moved for that (great piece of design Mr Kawasaki). I always thought that the SV suspension was a bit harsh but I'd like to take that back, the H1's suspension has shown me the true meaning of harsh.

I still think it's a great looking bike but I had my first: "What have I done?" moment this morning. I think H1 ownership is going to be character building (or sanity destroying).

...edit: according to the triples forum, it's likely the kickstart spring has snapped which means engine out and cases split.

Last edited by Seeker; 29-08-19 at 02:36 PM.
Old 29-08-19, 05:26 PM   #17
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
According to the triples forum, it's likely the kickstart spring has snapped which means engine out and cases split.
Bloody hell, I hope not ....
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-19, 05:52 PM   #18
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
...edit: according to the triples forum, it's likely the kickstart spring has snapped which means engine out and cases split.
Or park at the top of a hill.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-19, 06:50 AM   #19
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Bloody hell, I hope not ....
there's a video produced by the forum on setting the kickstart spring tension because a lot of people screw it up, so there's a very slight chance that has happened but you still have to remove the clutch to check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads
Or park at the top of a hill.
although I live near the Wolds, this is Lincolnshire!

When I was getting petrol a couple of guys detoured to admire the bike, I told them: "pretty to look at, uncomfortable to ride", mentioned the kickstart and they offered to push which was nice.

I remember trading my Street Triple for the SV, hopping on the SV, noticing how different it was but had no issues immediately navigating traffic, with this bike I'm planning routes to avoid traffic although it's (or I am) slowly getting better. When you push the bike back and forth the front brake seems fine, when you get over 30 mph you question whether you're ever going to stop; there's more planning involved, the total lack of torque below 4k rpm feels weird too.