SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-08-11, 06:25 PM   #31
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default Re: Solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
Best way to understand all thats included is to fill in the free investment calculator on the energy savings trust website, its free to do.
Ta.
Have Done, it reckons 'estimated payback' is 14 years. However, thats really vague, as it doesn't explain if thats just a return of capital, or break even when versus investment
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-11, 06:37 PM   #32
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
Theres a financial benefits calculator here that you might find useful. http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/...ack-Calculator
ahh thats a better one. 9 and a bit years payback on a 4kw system in the south, assuming no loan taken out and no maintenance charges.
But that is just return of capital, you can see from the figures.
However, as stated, my 14k invested could easily be 20k in that time, which would take the generation over 13 years to accumulate, by which time my original investment would have reached... You see where I am going?
Now if you invest all your returns each year, say in ISA or better still RPI bonds, then the break even point is reached quicker, But still not the 9 years they quote, not by a long way.
Old 22-08-11, 06:51 PM   #33
flymo
Mega Poster

tell you what, you pop your 14K into your investment portfolio, I'll sup a few beers and watch the weather and we'll compare notes in 10 years
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-11, 08:03 PM   #34
thefallenangel

Does that calculator take into account inflation and the probable rise in electricity costs?
Old 22-08-11, 08:22 PM   #35
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallenangel View Post
Does that calculator take into account inflation and the probable rise in electricity costs?
Tariffs include inflation based on the Retail Prices Index. An increase of 4.8% has been applied from April 2011.

The tool doesn't include the following:
  • Fuel price increases over time
  • Inflation (though FITs are index linked)
  • Net present value
The calculation for solar PV does not include any maintenance costs. Well installed systems should last many years maintenance free though inverters are the most likely part to require maintenance though many come with 3-5 year warranties. Customers should check these details with their installer. Solar PV modules typically come with 20-25 year warranties ensuring at least 80% of rated performance at end of period. Calculations in calculator assume 100% performance over lifetime of tariffs i.e. 25 years.
Old 22-08-11, 08:38 PM   #36
thefallenangel

So all the variants cancel each other out then?
Old 22-08-11, 08:52 PM   #37
widepants

being a poor divorced single dad I now have the "honour" of living in a council house(Yes I do work).The coucil are fitting all their housing stock with solar panels and mine goes in next week.Although they get any profit produced ,I do get free daytime electric.What is the best/least expensive/safest elecrical heating system I can get ,to get my house toasty for when I get home from work.Ar oil filled rads any good?
widepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-11, 09:00 PM   #38
thefallenangel

have to insulate your house pretty well to hold the heat which will be your main problem unless you are only home during the day?

Oil Filled Rads are ok or just a couple of 2KW heaters
Old 22-08-11, 09:12 PM   #39
Stingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by widepants View Post
being a poor divorced single dad I now have the "honour" of living in a council house(Yes I do work).The coucil are fitting all their housing stock with solar panels and mine goes in next week.Although they get any profit produced ,I do get free daytime electric.What is the best/least expensive/safest elecrical heating system I can get ,to get my house toasty for when I get home from work.Ar oil filled rads any good?
And make sure you put your washing machine on before you go to work...
Old 22-08-11, 09:18 PM   #40
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallenangel View Post
So all the variants cancel each other out then?
All a bit ambiguous really isn't it.
A worry is the unproven longevity of the equipment. The inverter will almost certainly fail, the PV panels are not expected but who can tell. Its all and well having a 20 year guareentee, but from a company thats been trading for just a year or so its a hard one to believe in.