SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-06-06, 11:43 PM   #1
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default best tv for the money

OK people in the know.

her indoors is getting me a new TV, (well she's got a new one she watches already).

£750 to spend (perhaps another ton or so for the right one).

Not after anything mind blowing and space isn't a problem, don't need wall mount and don't mind LCD but to be honest more interested in the best I can get for the money, don't particularly need HD, reasonable size (can't be to small), already have a nice Yamaha amp running 4 satalite speakers plus a couple of massive Dynalabs for the surround sound, so sound isn't a major concern.

Currently have cable but looking to change that (maybe sky with seperate Harddisk recorder or sky+) but never had freeview, is it worth having?

web offers/ special offers/ bargin stuff , all considered.

give me your recommendations

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-06, 12:13 AM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

If you're not bothered about HD, you can get a really good CRT 28 or 32 for half that... My Panasonic, which is a TX-28PM12, cost me just shy of £300 delivered- it's got a 100hz refresh rate, excellent picture quality for non-HD, assorted fripperies and doodads... The sound's not great, but as you say not a problem for you. My budget would have gone higher, I just couldn't find much reason for it to.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-06, 12:19 AM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

just had a nose about and this caught my eye.

SAMSUNG LE32R51BD -- 32" LCD TELEVISION

opinions ?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 13-06-06, 12:34 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
If you're not bothered about HD, you can get a really good CRT 28 or 32 for half that... My Panasonic, which is a TX-28PM12, cost me just shy of £300 delivered- it's got a 100hz refresh rate, excellent picture quality for non-HD, assorted fripperies and doodads... The sound's not great, but as you say not a problem for you. My budget would have gone higher, I just couldn't find much reason for it to.
She's paying, so I'll get what I can within the money ( don't think she'd be to impressed if I save £300 and used it for a rear Ohlins). I've found an offer on the Samsung for £700 delivered next day, might go for that, but probably wait a couple of days see what else I can find.

Cheers Mark.
Old 13-06-06, 12:36 AM   #5
amarko5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
just had a nose about and this caught my eye.

SAMSUNG LE32R51BD -- 32" LCD TELEVISION

opinions ?
IMHO you cannot beat CRT for clarity unless you are going for 2k or higher plasma and lcd tv's .

the lower spec LCD pictures are not a patch on CRT.

I would look for a good CRT Mark .

freeview is ok and will be needed by everone eventually. however i feel your usage of possibly sky+ (especially for the bike racing) will be far more than on freeview.

it's handy to have both though
Old 13-06-06, 08:24 AM   #6
Marshall

Id go with a Cheepey 32" widescreen CRT (my dad got his from Makro for £250 with a built in freeview tuner)

AND

get a projector and screen, a couple of my mates have them and there damn brilliant. Tv for watchin normal guff on telly, projector for films, sport and the likes.
Old 13-06-06, 08:30 AM   #7
thor

I think a decent CRT sounds the way to go. With decent inputs, would look cracking.
Old 13-06-06, 08:49 AM   #8
sharriso74

Hope the Samsung LCD's are better then their PC flat screens. Just refreshed the entire company with Samsung SyncMater 940Fn's and to say they're fragile would be an understatement. Very high attrition rate the only reason behind getting these over the NEC's is cost.
Old 13-06-06, 08:53 AM   #9
wyrdness

If you're interested in Sky+, check the 'Free Sky+ box' thread. There's an offer on until the end of the month for 'friends and families of Sky employees'. Since I work for Sky, I can get that offer for anyone on here.

Edit: Just seen that you've posted there already. PM'd.
Old 13-06-06, 08:54 AM   #10
rictus01
Mega Poster

Yeah Guys let me explain, not my money, personnally I would spend £200-£300 on a crt and get a HD recorder, but "she" wants something flash, so I fear it'll have to be an LCD , although anyone comes up with a flash CRT or DLP, I might be able to swing it.

Cheers Mark.