SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-07-06, 11:35 AM   #1
Dreadhead

Default Tuning - What can I do?

I'm wanting to know what sort of tuning theres is out there for my 2001 sv650s i was thinking along the lines of a full race system with jetting up for the first stage. Idealy i am wanting it to be pumping out about 80-85ish bhp at the end of some serious tuning and im also looking to upgrade my front forks aswell i have been told that i can get a upradted sring and oil for about £120 fitted making the front end not as soft.

any ideas of what i could have done?
Old 03-07-06, 11:52 AM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Lot of work to get 85 at the rear wheel out of an SV... Most likely would mean boring it out. To give you an idea, with cams and a full system and stage 2 airkit, mine puts out 77bhp at the rear wheel. It'll go a little higher once I get the right mains in, but not much (and might fall because of the Random Dyno Factor)

Personally, I'd say don't do it! You can get a good power boost from cams alone for about £130 (K3 intake cams, and your old intake cams moved to the exhaust, allegedly the same spec as some "proper" stage 2 cams. Worked well for me. Exhaust and induction is an expensive way to get power on an SV- parts and setup vs actual reward makes it not very economic. But then, there's no point in putting a big bore on without it. And a big bore will increse the risk of engine failure to a level that personally, I'm not happy with. If you actually use the extra power constantly then that extra moving mass and the thinner liners can cause problems, and if you don't... why bother?

In short... If you want a faster bike, it's easier to buy one A used SRAD 6 makes more power and has better suspension than the SV, for example. The only reason I can justify mine is that I like doing the work.

I'll bet you a pound that you'd see more benefit from handling mods than power, in terms of average speeds, lap times etc. I guarantee my GSXR front and Ohlins rear (at probably under £500 all in) has taken more time off my laps than my extra 10bhp. Certainly spending/doing enough to get 85bhp at the rear wheel with just springs and oil and a standard shock would be well on the wrong side of insane
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 01:26 PM   #3
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Go faster stripes?

Worked for Northwind. He had his bodywork re-painted and then had it dyno-ed. He says it's because of his cams and full system, but we all know the 77bhp is down to the stripes!!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 02:44 PM   #4
markmoto

Hi fellas
i was just wondering which rear shockes bolt straigh on i seen someone mentioned the kawaker zx636 rear shock is this a straigh bolt on? also what usd forks will fit? i assume i would need the yokes to go with them.

cheers
marc

B T W mine is a 650 pointy
Old 03-07-06, 02:45 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mototech
Hi fellas
i was just wondering which rear shockes bolt straigh on i seen someone mentioned the kawaker zx636 rear shock is this a straigh bolt on? also what usd forks will fit? i assume i would need the yokes to go with them.

cheers
marc

B T W mine is a 650 pointy
Try a search. Its been covered a lot of times before
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-06, 06:51 PM   #6
andyaikido

85 bhp? Do the same mods as Northy and put it on a Dynojet dyno.
Old 05-07-06, 06:58 PM   #7
jonboy

Listen to Northwind, he talks a lot of sense.

Old 07-07-06, 02:48 PM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I've got the same engine mods as the Wind, mine knocks out 81bhp on a Dynojet dyno, in other words that's the biggest headline figure it'll manage cos it's probably less. If you want more than that you really need to get a 1000. Even the 700c kit doesn't add a lot, it'll fatten up the midrange impressively, but you won't see more than an extra 1-2bhp at the top because it's still got 650cc sized valves, ports, carbs, etc. Cam swap is top VFM, beyond that it's decreasing returns as the old hippy says.

For the forks, stiffer springs and 15-20W oil makes a big difference. If you're still not happy then go for emulators or a whole GSXR front end. Best to decide this early on or you'll pay twice. Again I agree that good suspension is worth more than a few bhp.

Reckon we've summed up half of the forum's banter from the last year in this thread!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote