SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-05-06, 07:36 AM   #1
pegasus
Mega Poster

Default Rory Gallagher - DVD

Not that anyones interested but just thought i'd give this DVD a quick mention, i went into virgin to get a CD yesterday and spotted this new release, about time too.
Anyway to the point, it is absolutely brill..it covers all of his montreaux concerts (he did 5 in 20 years) and his playing is totally electric, really has the hairs on your arms and neck stand on end, this guy was so talented i am gutted i never got to see him live.

defo recommend, over 2 hours of quality music for £13.99

pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-06, 07:41 AM   #2
jonboy

Many moons ago when God was still wearing short trousers, I (as part of the worst band in the world ) recorded an eight-track demo in a studio in East London that Rory Gallagher had recorded in a few weeks before (this is the bit where you say "coool!" ). He was a great blues rocker and I've always rated him highly, so thanks for the info.

Old 26-05-06, 09:43 AM   #3
portreekid

Got the DVD from guy at work, excelent stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Many moons ago when God was still wearing short trousers, I (as part of the worst band in the world ) recorded an eight-track demo in a studio in East London that Rory Gallagher had recorded in a few weeks before [size=9](this is the bit where you say "coool!" [/size]). He was a great blues rocker and I've always rated him highly, so thanks for the info.

Coool

Saw him in concert in Glasgow around 1987, my mate had got me a ticket and he ended up going to see Jethro Tull in Edinburgh that night (Ha Ha serves him right - they were crap that night apparently!)
So me and the better half went. Hadn't heard much of his stuff before but man what a show. as vltn put it "electric"

Have now had to put on CD - Bad Penny! - FANTASTIC

Going to wallow in nostalgia for rest of day
Old 26-05-06, 09:56 AM   #4
portreekid

Now on to "Crest of a Wave"

Old 26-05-06, 10:01 AM   #5
portreekid

Don't worry not going to list them all............................................ but how appropriate -

Track listening to now is "They Don't Make Them Like You Anymore"
Old 26-05-06, 11:22 AM   #6
pegasus
Mega Poster

Quote:
Many moons ago when God was still wearing short trousers, I (as part of the worst band in the world ) recorded an eight-track demo in a studio in East London that Rory Gallagher had recorded in a few weeks before (this is the bit where you say "coool!" ). He was a great blues rocker and I've always rated him highly, so thanks for the info.

cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

i used to session in a couple of east london places "midland road" and "old street studios"

hey portree bad penny IS awesome aint it?

pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-06, 02:17 PM   #7
philipMac

There is another Blues guy, (English rather than Irish though :P) called Bert Jansch, and if you are fond of Ol Rory, you could do worse than pick up on of his albums.

clickywiki

Jimmy Page and Hendrix were both massive fans. And, I am not one to argue with those chaps.

(BTW thanks for the pointer...)
Old 26-05-06, 02:42 PM   #8
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipMac
There is another Blues guy, (English rather than Irish though :P) called Bert Jansch, and if you are fond of Ol Rory, you could do worse than pick up on of his albums.
Blues? I always thought that he was a folk musician
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Jansch

'Black Mountainside' on Led Zep 1, is Jimmy Page's reworking of Jansch's version of the Irish folk song 'Blackwaterside' - one of my favourite songs.
Old 26-05-06, 02:49 PM   #9
philipMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipMac
Blues? I always thought that he was a folk musician
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Jansch

'Black Mountainside' on Led Zep 1, is Jimmy Page's reworking of Jansch's version of the Irish folk song 'Blackwaterside' - one of my favourite songs.
Hmm. I suppose you are right. He is folk. And blues I suppose.
Depends on the album maybe.
(Sometimes I feel folk and blues can be very similar...)
Old 26-05-06, 11:33 PM   #10
ArtyLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by vltn3
Quote:

cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

i used to session in a couple of east london places "midland road" and "old street studios"

hey portree bad penny IS awesome aint it?
Hey didnt know you guys were musicians too!! (mind you Im crap and you probably play much more cool stuff than me - but I try !!)

I saw Rory G at Hammersmith Odeon in 1970something ! Excellent