SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-05-07, 03:17 PM   #1
lynw

Default Top Box Woes....

aaarrrggghhhh!!!!

They fitted a givi rack to the CBF given I said I had a givi box already. Great I thought, go get the topbox today, rack up some miles now the 600 service is done...

Hahaha not quite so simple. Got to Charlton [where the SV was recovered to] and pick up the box from the SV... doesnt fit... ah... bugger...

Turns out Givi do two types of fitting, monokey and monolock - something I didnt know or realise until today . My topbox is monolock, Dobles fitted the monokey.

Still, Dobles just said they'll swap the plate over for me, just got to book the bike in again. Woohoo!! I should at least be able to use the top box going to Scotland in two weeks time then

Oh and result too... ordered two Scorpions for the CBF... should arrive next week....

Oh and racked up 205 miles so far today Oh and nice Mr Plod didnt pull me for 90ish on the A2 either... I realised I was hammering it a bit, slowed down to 85 and into the middle lane as they went past and just smiled and did the slow down wave at me...

Last edited by lynw; 05-05-07 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-05-07, 03:24 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Top Box Woes....

I thought the Monokey boxes where for bigger bikes, and monolick for the smaller bikes like scooters? Or something like that

Life without a top-box - couldnt imagine it

Oh, and who wants to own up to being the owner of a black curvy that I saw with a Givi topbox on it, going up penhryn road in kingston yesterday

Matt
Old 05-05-07, 03:29 PM   #3
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
I thought the Monokey boxes where for bigger bikes, and monolick for the smaller bikes like scooters? Or something like that

Life without a top-box - couldnt imagine it

Oh, and who wants to own up to being the owner of a black curvy that I saw with a Givi topbox on it, going up penhryn road in kingston yesterday

Matt
No. Guy at Bats cant tell me the difference between them, as to whether ones more secure than the other or what. But they make boxes up to 47 litres for both fittings. Kind of be amusing to see a 47 litre monolock on a scooter

Yes Im hankering for the 47 litre one now

I also found out Givi make Spada boxes but use the different brand name - but theyre half the price.. go figure...
Old 05-05-07, 06:42 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

Givi also go kappa boxes for cheaper - I nearly got one but apparently the kappa rack is plastic, not aluminium!!!!

47 L on a scoot, that'd miss the point of a scooter! Cant see a chav getting one on his/her speedfight!

Matt
Old 05-05-07, 06:53 PM   #5
oldjack

The Givi rack on my divvy was plastic, it was OK, I think Givi used plastic or aluminium in equal measures when they modified the design.
Old 05-05-07, 07:28 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

See, if you didnt have a top box you wouldnt have had to go to Charlton!!!

BAN TOP BOXES!!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 11:44 PM   #7
Cazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
See, if you didnt have a top box you wouldnt have had to go to Charlton!!!

BAN TOP BOXES!!
Oi Mr Viney! Treacle works in Charlton - so it must be cool.
Old 06-05-07, 09:57 AM   #8
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
BAN TOP BOXES!!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Old 06-05-07, 10:07 AM   #9
K

Sad to say I can answer this - kinda...

... Monokey and Monolock - one is 'recommended' for smaller cc machines such as scoots whilst the other is for bigger, faster, heavier bikes - they are effectively more robust to allow for the potential of higher speed drops.
The airtight seal, security of the box is the same across the board, but if you stand on a 30lt box for example, one will flex slightly the other won't.

I had vaguely thought that the connection plate was the same three point system - but without a brochure infront of me I could say for certain... this is trying to drag the information out of head that was buried over a year ago when I was last at work!

I will say that their brochure is one of the hardest to order from unless you know Givi's 'system'... which is why they ran an orientation course that I went to in their distribution centre in Daventry.

Can I also say in my defence that I only sold the things and have never, ever, had one on eany bike of mine.
Old 06-05-07, 11:19 AM   #10
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
Sad to say I can answer this - kinda...

... Monokey and Monolock - one is 'recommended' for smaller cc machines such as scoots whilst the other is for bigger, faster, heavier bikes - they are effectively more robust to allow for the potential of higher speed drops.
The airtight seal, security of the box is the same across the board, but if you stand on a 30lt box for example, one will flex slightly the other won't.

I had vaguely thought that the connection plate was the same three point system - but without a brochure infront of me I could say for certain... this is trying to drag the information out of head that was buried over a year ago when I was last at work!

I will say that their brochure is one of the hardest to order from unless you know Givi's 'system'... which is why they ran an orientation course that I went to in their distribution centre in Daventry.

Can I also say in my defence that I only sold the things and have never, ever, had one on eany bike of mine.
Thanks K - that explains why they put the monokey on. But I can definitely vouch the connection plates differ

Starting to think that what I will do is get a monolock plate for the CBF as a temporary fix and only £30 allowing me to use the current topbox, then get the monokey box later and refit the monokey plate when the credit cards recovered from the walloping its getting with new bike and modding it

And for those who want to ban topboxes - sod off Its my bike, Ill ruin the aesthetics as I want to