SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-01-17, 01:41 AM   #1
synXero

Default Hey!

Hey all. New guy!

Have had my CBT for 2-3 months; got my theory a month ago, about to sit my DAS in the next week or two. I'm 25, from Edinburgh but living in London. Always been into fast cars and fast bicycles, but living down here, it's way more fun on a motorbike!!

I'll mostly be using the bike to commute, but I'd like to be able to tear it up a bit, going to the IOMTT this year, and like getting out of town whenever I can.

I'm mostly looking at a black pointy SV650 or SV650S as the dream first big bike, but they're a bit pricy for me really, the absolute most I can spend is probably £1500... The lower the better. Insurance is going to be £500 odds on any group 9 bike.

I'm also considering a few other bikes, sports or tourers basically. CB500 is in with a real shout—cheap and reliable and I like twins more than I4s! So are Hornets, Fazer 600s, ZZR600s, that kind of thing really. Anything I can get cheaply enough and can insure.

Anyway, I haven't ridden anything yet, apart from having a shot on a Ducati 848 of all things, and a CB600F2, but both were only brief.

Convince me an SV is the right thing?!

Cheers!
Old 06-01-17, 09:56 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Hey!

You're on an Sv forum and asking us to convince you its the right bike

All those IL4's are fine, but have no character, and you'll have to rev the nuts off them. Sewing machines

CB500 I don't like parallel twins, but good workhorse, but a bit plain.

If £1500 is your limit get a Curvy, you won't be disappointed with any Sv
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 10:30 AM   #3
synXero

Agree the SV is just way more interesting than anything else I can get my hands on. Always liked having something a bit more quirky.

Curvy SV looks do absolutely nothing for me, maybe the totally naked version but I just don't like em. Seems there are a few pointies for 1500 or close to it. One for sale on here too. I'll have to go ride one.
Old 06-01-17, 01:26 PM   #4
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

SV.

They're cheap

They're fun

They can be improved cheaply* as you gain experience

They can be ragged and you won't be going that quickly*

They're light meaning they are easy to pick up when you have that slow speed moment when you're inexperienced and drop it.

They're fairly cheap to insure and run*

They're fun

They're easy to work on

Basically,

They are the perfect first big bike, and most of all they are fun.

*in motorbike terms

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )

Last edited by carelesschucca; 06-01-17 at 01:27 PM.
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 03:56 PM   #5
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by synXero View Post
Curvy SV looks do absolutely nothing for me, maybe the totally naked version but I just don't like em.
Are you mad? I'd recommend some serious therapy!

Welcome along by the way.....
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 07:35 PM   #6
synXero

I'm starting to see the appeal in naked curvies and they're also very cheap it seems. Still very much a full-faired pointy man though... Time/bank balance will tell. I'm planning to be on one by the end of January.

@carelesschucca - comments appreciated, thanks. Like you say I'd like something I could wind out. I don't mind breaking the law when it's otherwise safe enough, but do it too often and I'll be without license before long!!

Would it be possible/humane to ride a naked bike, say, 500 miles in a day? Would it be unbearable? Roughly how much easier/less tiring does it make it having a full faired bike?
Old 06-01-17, 09:10 PM   #7
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

500 miles in a day an you'll be knackered on any bike!

I do find even the half fairing on my SV makes more miles much more pleasant. Difficult to say though as my experience of naked bikes was my old 125 and the 250 I'm doing up, both of which are a lot lighter and feeling knocked about and less planted can add to tiredness too. I'm well aware when I'm doing 70 on a naked bike. The wind reminds me! I sometimes don't realise when I'm doing 70 on my SV. Although some of that is down to it being generally a smoother ride cruising that speed as well as the wind protection.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 10:36 PM   #8
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I did just about 500 miles on my fully faired curvy s last summer, home to Fort William in one go. I was fairly tired at the end of the day but not feeling particularly battered or blasted. I would not like to attempt it on a naked version though.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 10:51 PM   #9
Kenzie

The naked version has higher bars so might be better on the wrists. That's my only gripe with the bike.

Sent from the darkroom
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 12:39 AM   #10
Heorot

I have a naked k3 fitted with a Puig double bubble screen and at 70 in 6th it's a relaxed ride without much buffeting.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote