SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-08-17, 07:57 AM   #1
EliteAlex

Default Pointy Gel seat or alternative?

Hi all,

I have a 2008 SV650S and the seat is pretty uncomfortable after about 100 miles.

I've seen that you can get a genuine gel seat but am unsure whether it will fit my bike as I've read something about the seat being for a K3 which has a different rear sub frame?

Failing this, could somebody give me some recommendations on what I can do to make the existing standard seat more comfortable please?

Cheers
Alex
Old 06-08-17, 03:35 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pointy Gel seat or alternative?

I got a genuine Suzi gel seat for my K6 secondhand from another SV orger, his bike was a K5 or 6. It does make a BIG difference compared to the standard seat, but it's not a complete cure: my @rse still goes to sleep but it now takes 4 - 5 hours riding rather than 90 minutes.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-17, 01:13 PM   #3
chezza

Hi Alex,

Confirmed: the K3 seat will not fit your pointy - I know this as I bought one on the off chance before checking to replace my old knackered seat !! shame as its in perfect nick:

Anybody want to buy it ?

Thanks
Gav
chezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-17, 02:49 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteAlex View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2008 SV650S and the seat is pretty uncomfortable after about 100 miles.

I've seen that you can get a genuine gel seat but am unsure whether it will fit my bike as I've read something about the seat being for a K3 which has a different rear sub frame?

Failing this, could somebody give me some recommendations on what I can do to make the existing standard seat more comfortable please?

Cheers
Alex
Get a gel insert fitted and re foamed, someone like Tony Archer, of mine was done by Saxon seats.

Tony Archer's work is very good and he does a quick turnaround

http://tonyarcher.co.uk
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-17, 09:53 PM   #5
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

My local upholsterer did my seat for a good price and the difference is amazing. I had the foam replaced and reshaped and it took slightly less than an hour. I was there when it was done so that we could shape the foam perfectly. I had my seat cover changed at the same time and it felt like a different bike afterwards.

Do not underestimate just how much of a paving slab the original seat really is!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-17, 12:16 PM   #6
EliteAlex

Thanks for the clarification all! This is something i'll look into!