SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-02-06, 12:10 PM   #1
inevitable

Default New Bike Awareness Campaign

Partialy stolen from another forum, but what do you think of it?

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/ca...a/howclose.mpg

(TV Ad)

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/ca...orcycles02.htm

(Website)

I think it's very good, not putting too much of the onus on the biker but prompting the driver to take more time. Hope it works!

As a driver interested (and just about to get involved) in bikes I've always felt that I'm pretty aware of bikes, especially on the motorways. I give them plenty of room and time to do what they're doing as I would appreciate a driver doing the same for me. I usually get a not or some thanks for it, which is more than can be said from most motorist who you do a favour for!

That said, there are too many numptys out there on the road who really haven't got a clue and I say this as a car driver foremost. Much as I'm so looking forward to actually getting out on the road on two wheels at last, I'm also very very nervous about doing it as I've seen some really atrocious driving out there.

I really hope that this ad campaign helps, even if it just makes drivers slightly more aware then it will have worked?
Old 01-02-06, 01:45 PM   #2

i currently car more than i do bike, so i always try to be as responsive to bikers as poss,

i have once pulled out infront of a biker and missed him.. but really,... i cant tell you where he came from, it scared me...

ps thats a scary add as that is what exactly happened to me...
Old 01-02-06, 02:00 PM   #3
Samurai

Think it is about time more focus was placed on this.

Although i don't know how many peopl will actually take it in, when i rive i try to look as much as i can but there alway's lapses and bike do just apear next to you.

I no when they shoot past me scares they hell out of me as i din't even see them coming
Old 01-02-06, 02:33 PM   #4
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighRS

Although i don't know how many peopl will actually take it in, when i rive i try to look as much as i can but there alway's lapses and bike do just apear next to you.

I no when they shoot past me scares they hell out of me as i din't even see them coming
Can you remember driving
Old 01-02-06, 02:38 PM   #5
Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighRS

Can you remember driving
Like it was yesturday

I want my car back
Old 01-02-06, 05:53 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Good ad, well filmed and i hope it gets the point across to some of those who are just too stoopid to realise that bikes are harder to spot and close the gap a lot faster too.

Nice that for once the rider wasnt made to look like the irresponsible one
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-06, 06:15 PM   #7
Last Action Pimp

- ACE!

better than the old one, where it was the bike that over took the cars and got knocked off, i think that it gave bikers the blame
Old 01-02-06, 06:59 PM   #8
rob13

first time i saw that ad, i $h1t myself watching the bike collide with the car. im similar to numbers above in that i do a lot more miles in the car than i do on the bike. Id like to think that im very aware of whats on the road, as i use my mirrors. The only time ive been surprised is when im sat in a queue and a bike comes up on my side from nowhere. I guess thats what makes me so cautious about filtering
Old 01-02-06, 07:12 PM   #9
independentphoto

Top film

I too had a brown moment watching it the first time (full screen with the sound up!). The radio ad is good too- gets your attention.

You can save the films to your hard disk by right clicking the above links and selecting "Save Target As". Then you can make your dozy colleagues watch too.

Cheers,

Garry
Old 01-02-06, 08:29 PM   #10
Professor

Good stuff.