SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-08-07, 10:20 PM   #1
SV225

Default Who Ruined Derbyshire?

Went for a ride round derbyshire today. Last time I went, all I could find was speed limits and paranoid drivers. This time I bought a map book to take with me so I could do a bit more planning and have places to aim for / not get lost (as much), guess what - speed limits and paranoid drivers. I only found one decent road without a speed limit.

And, I noticed that instead of saying 'welcome to ******** village', the signs were just a massive '30' followed by 'please slow down'.

How long has derbyshire been like this? Or am just going to the wrong places?
Old 20-08-07, 11:31 PM   #2
Ed

Default Re: Who Ruined Derbyshire?

Since all the speeding bikers arrived, I guess
Old 21-08-07, 07:13 AM   #3
Tomcat

speed limits .... do you mean signs, or cameras? If you mean cameras its not that bad is it, or is it just that I know where they are? As far as signs ..... their just an indicator aren't they of the type of road ahead
Old 21-08-07, 12:18 PM   #4
SV225

It's the 50 limits everwhere! Do most local people treat these as NSL then? My neighbour told me they had helicopters that patrol the skies looking for speeding bikes so I was a bit paranoid. Also, all the bikes I saw were not going fast so I thought there might some police thing going on? And, there are speed camera warning signs everywhere, when there's no camera to be seen - or are they hidden? The cameras are also a really pale yellow, which makes them a bit harder to see.

EDIT: Roads were nice though
Old 21-08-07, 12:30 PM   #5
Skip
Mega Poster

50 limits always have me on guard - funny really as NSL are only 10mph more and I dont worry too much about them!
Old 21-08-07, 12:59 PM   #6
Tomcat

You are right there are a LOT of camera signs with no camera there, they do use mobile cameras quite a bit around here, but they also list where they are going to be in the local rag, the week before!!

Yes they sometimes use helicopters, but again, they warn of them more then they use them. Pinch of salt I say .... but don't forward your ticket onto me!!

If you are riding mid week, you should be ok. To be fair, there are a lot of accidents on some of these roads (as in cat n fiddle, snake pass etc) so a certain amount of care is required anyway. If you don't know the roads well enough to know where the cameras are maybe you don't know the roads well enough to speed anyway? Just a thought
Old 21-08-07, 01:07 PM   #7
SV225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
If you don't know the roads well enough to know where the cameras are maybe you don't know the roads well enough to speed anyway? Just a thought
I don't know the roads at all It's not that I want to speed, just that 50mph feels sooooooooo slow along the straighter sections of road. Cat & Fiddle did catch me out a couple of times but it's a nice road, think I'll have to go back sometime and have a few more runs along it. Snake Pass was nice but seemed more conjested with cars

P.S. What is the road number of Cat and Fiddle? I sort of stumbled along it by accident.
Old 21-08-07, 01:38 PM   #8
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Speaking of which - I will be in the area for the weekend as of mid-day Friday.

Will be at Locko Park, Spondon, near Derby.

Main focus will be hitting people with rubber swords, but seems like a shame to come that close and NOT go for a little ride.

Anyone fancy coming and fetching myself and Ibishu from Locko and taking us on a couple of hours tour of the area?

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-07, 03:48 PM   #9
Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV225 View Post

P.S. What is the road number of Cat and Fiddle? I sort of stumbled along it by accident.
A537
Old 21-08-07, 04:08 PM   #10
Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV225 View Post
I only found one decent road without a speed limit.

Where is this mystical, go-as-fast-as-you-like road? I wanna go!