SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-03-06, 02:42 PM   #1
Ward8124

Default Gerbing heated gloves

www.gerbing.nl

Bought a set of these yesterday for £119 and i will be honest....they do cost a bit but my god are the worth every penny as i commute in from Cambridge everyday and my fingers are all nice and toastie now....just got to sort the pillion out as she doesnt have any just yet but i seriously recommend them if u do long distances in the cold.

Old 14-03-06, 02:49 PM   #2
diamond

I was thinking of getting some of these for next winter. Are they easy and convienent to connect up?
Old 14-03-06, 03:46 PM   #3
Ward8124

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.d.
I was thinking of getting some of these for next winter. Are they easy and convienent to connect up?
It took me 3 minutes to hook up to the battery mate so no worries at all.
Old 04-11-08, 03:00 PM   #4
Ceri JC

Default Re: Gerbing heated gloves

A doddle to connect the wiring (and remove over summer). No permanent "changes" to the loom required to use them, nor ugly controllers on the bars. No more flat batteries from heated grips. Even warmer than heated grips being used in conjunction with bar muffs. Heat the backs of your hand as well as the inside. Nowhere near as bulky/hard to control the bike with as they look like they would be. Look like they would offer v. good protection in a crash too.

My only slight gripe is that it can be hard to do the sleeves of my cruise jacket up over the glove when it rains, but that's as much the fault of the jacket as the gloves and is exacerbated by my choosing the "signature" version of the gloves with the oversized cuffs. I've also got their heated kidney belt for when it gets really cold and that is awesome too. Well worth it if you ride all year round.
Old 04-11-08, 05:26 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

I love mine... I added an external power socket for easy plugging in and out (and for easier battery charging) but it's not needed. Wouldn't be without them now, so much better than grips. Gerbing seem to be the ones to have, the Klan ones are nasty- like cheap snowboard gloves- and the less said about EXO Stormriders the better, they're very warm but so badly thought out (no curvature in the fingers for instance, and the visor wiper was so stiff I could barely bend my thumb- it's hard to believe they ever road tested them). You get about £50 worth of heater, but sewn into the sort of gloves you get for £5 at a bike show. Nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
No more flat batteries from heated grips.
That can only happen if you install them wrong though.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 05:31 PM   #6
Sean_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
I love mine... I added an external power socket for easy plugging in and out (and for easier battery charging) but it's not needed. Wouldn't be without them now, so much better than grips. Gerbing seem to be the ones to have, the Klan ones are nasty- like cheap snowboard gloves- and the less said about EXO Stormriders the better, they're very warm but so badly thought out (no curvature in the fingers for instance, and the visor wiper was so stiff I could barely bend my thumb- it's hard to believe they ever road tested them). You get about £50 worth of heater, but sewn into the sort of gloves you get for £5 at a bike show. Nasty.

Thanks for that post northwind, very informative. What's the protection like on Gerbing gloves?
I'm definitely getting some of these this winter, I did far too many miles with frozen hands last winter..
Old 04-11-08, 06:15 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Looks decent, I'd want to crash in them before i say anything too nice (if you know what I mean) but they seem solid enough, fairly standard issue big glove stuff. Less protective than an armoured winter glove I'm sure, but then you're less likely to crash if your fingers all work
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 06:40 PM   #8
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
the Klan ones are nasty- like cheap snowboard gloves- .
Bugg*r, was just about to buy them Oh well better hearing it from you than than finding out the expensive way.
Quote:
Looks decent, I'd want to crash in them before i say anything too nice
Well get on with it, good man
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-08, 09:16 AM   #9
Ceri JC

Quote:

If by "wrong" you mean the way the instructions tell you to, then I'd have to disagree. Plenty of grips out there connect directly to the battery and have no way of detecting whether or not the bike is turned on. Yes, it's possible to stick a relay into the loom and wire them into that, but that's not the way most of them come out of the box.
Old 05-11-08, 09:18 AM   #10
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Well get on with it, good man
Don't worry, I'll be able to post an extensive "crash review" of them come the January ice if past years are anything to go by.