SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-02-05, 08:45 AM   #1
Grinch

Default Is it possible that my visor was freezin?

Well it got down to about -6 this morning on my way to work, and a rather strange thing happened. I think my visor started freezing over on the inside. I've got 'de-mister' freshly applied (did it the night before), which appears to be clearing my breath and still is now that I've tested in indoors, but the inside was still glazing over. But it was almost like frost, is it possible that my breath was not even steaming up and just freezing on contact with my visor.
I know its cold but that's a bit much... or am I just a nutter who needs to invest in one of those 'fog city's' right now. Though I think I will anyway.
Old 28-02-05, 08:54 AM   #2
Mogs

I've got a fog city and it works really well, but it did mist up on cold damp days when stopped at lights etc. I bought an Oxford "Huff" breath deflector, it takes a bit of getting used to and I had to sew the velco fixing patches into my lid.
Old 28-02-05, 09:00 AM   #3
Mr Toad

yes - had that last winter - the ice crystals start to form on the inside, and everything goes opaque very quickly - lifting up the visor has no effect

I've got a Schubert Concept helmet - they do a heated visor, with a very fine heating element embedded in it similar to what you get on some car windscreens, that plugs into a socket somewhere to draw the power.

I'll have one of those I said.
That'll be £99 said the man.
er, perhaps not I said
Old 28-02-05, 09:00 AM   #4
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

At the temperatures you are talking about it is entirely possible your breath was just freezing on contact with the visor.

I've got a Foggy mask in my helmet and it does a sterling job of keeping the visor clear.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-05, 09:33 AM   #5
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
At the temperatures you are talking about it is entirely possible your breath was just freezing on contact with the visor.

I've got a Foggy mask in my helmet and it does a sterling job of keeping the visor clear.
I think I'll look at a fog city or something, I can't cope very well with those mask things as I don't like my nose being touched.
Old 28-02-05, 09:46 AM   #6
BillyC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
I think I'll look at a fog city or something, I can't cope very well with those mask things as I don't like my nose being touched.
I got one of those... and they work brilliantly to a point, but it never stopped vapour freezing on the inside of the visor. Especially in freezing fog etc.

I think riding in extreme temperatures requires extreme measures. If you can get a pinlock visor... I think that's a better setup than the fog-city. You'll probably need a breath deflector as well... and a balaclava probably wouldn't go a miss - and it'll help keep you warm!

The aim is to stop any fogging from your breath, which in turns stops you opening the visor and letting the heat out, and letting moist cold air in. Warm air is capable of carrying much more moister than cold air.
Old 28-02-05, 09:56 AM   #7
jonboy

Fog City's work well but if you wear glasses they're a right bugger to get working properly.

Old 28-02-05, 09:59 AM   #8
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Fog City's work well but if you wear glasses they're a right bugger to get working properly..
I wear glasses and mine works alright.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-05, 10:11 AM   #9
Grinch

I wear contacts and they seem fine..
Old 28-02-05, 10:19 AM   #10
Mogs

Last week was realy cold in Cardiff, but no snow. I could continue to ride to work. My route to work is on the A470 which at about 7.30am is directly into the rising sun. So it was black balaclava, black breath deflector, dark glasses all inside a black lid, not a inch of skin showing.

I must have looked a right d*ck.

But no misting and I could see.