SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 29-06-11, 01:20 AM   #1
Noble Ox

Default First Track Day

I have found a novice track day for £200 at Mallory including s/sport hire.

Is this a good deal? Is it recommended? Is it better to use my own bike?

To the point!

Aran
Old 29-06-11, 04:45 AM   #2
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Re: First Track Day

Including the bike at this time of year, doesn't sound too bad.
Depends how much you like your bike. I always vowed that I wouldn't take my road bike on track in case I dropped it. I bought a £400 Track bike & used that, doesn't matter if you drop it then.

As for doing track days - You will find it very addictive, it's so much fun & you can explore your limitations a lot more on track.

If you do it & the organisers do free tuition i would recommend it, they show you where & when & make you ride faster & smoother.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-11, 08:51 AM   #3
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Including bike hire? Bargain! Normally you get 20min of each hour on the track, 9-5 with an hour off for lunch. Is it the same deal? Normally Mallory would be about £100 plus another £200 plus for bike hire. Check the liability though so you know your maximum payout and excesses.

Using your own bike is fun but you'll be more nervous about dropping it. That and unless you've spent a few quid, you'll find the limits of the SV rather sooner than a proper spurts bike. I ride my road bike on the track, I have binned it a couple of times though. I can't be bothered to have another bike sitting on its ass for 363 days a year though.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-11, 10:07 AM   #4
Whitty

It is cheap but remember there will be a large excess if you drop their bike which will feel alien to you. My advice would be do it on your bike you are comfortable with the feel of. Take it easy and get instruction(ususally free these days). Crashing isn't compulsary! Then if you love it you can put your hire fee in a jar towards a cheap trackbike. Trust me its addictive and those hire costs will soon add up.
Old 29-06-11, 05:56 PM   #5
hongman

My opinion...use your own bike.

Cost aside, I'll bet you have a ridiculous excess on their bike.

You wont be used to it, so it'll take you that much longer to get to grips with it. You'll just constantly worry about binning it and the associated costs.

At least with your bike you will be used to it, more familiar with the limits, and can get on with enjoying your day much sooner.

Just my 2p.
Old 30-06-11, 11:42 AM   #6
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Depends how worried you are about prepping and crashing your own bike! I dunno who that day is with but e.g. Smallboys track bike hire limit you to £450 even if you write it off. A hire place should also take care of tyres e.g. wets if you need them, and all that sort of thing. I know a few people who've hired bikes and got on just fine. As said above, crashing isn't a common occurence really.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 11:50 AM   #7
L3nny
Mega Poster

Sounds like a bargain to me. You sure it's a supersports and not a CB500??

Remember if you use your own bike you'd probably use £30 worth of petrol and £50 worth of tyre wear.

You also have the added bonus of not having to ride an SV

Can you share a link cause I have a mate who wants to do a trackday but doesn't want to use his own bike.
Old 30-06-11, 12:12 PM   #8
Noble Ox

Well I wasn't worried about crashing until reading into it! But I hope johnnyrod's right that crashing isn't a common occurrence.

****, I can't remember. I'l have a look again.