SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-10-18, 03:31 PM   #6501
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
Pretty sure the Highway Code deals with this reasonably explicitly. I'm actually appalled that in some cases the "flasher" has been held partly to blame. The law has become woolly and this makes things even less certain on the road.

Make your own observations.
https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/flas...eadlights.html

Problem is when you flash someone to come out they may assume you have already checked it is OK and they just don't check and barge across. Correct thing to do is just leave a gap, but I have tried this and some people are very slow to catch on and people behind you can pip their horns thinking you are holding them up.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-18, 03:32 PM   #6502
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Last time I used a train I took a bicycle to complete my journey the other end. I was allowed to book it on the train for the journey out but not the return journey. I asked what would happen if they didn't allow me on with it on the return journey and they said I'd have to leave it behind and go back and collect it after!!!? I asked how I'd do that. They suggested a train journey back again some time.

The time before that the return train shot through the station not stopping. The guy next to me said they always do it as they're timed at the next station and get fined if they're not on time. The fine is more than it costs to provide taxis for everyone waiting at the station that it's just skipped. He said almost every day about this time he phones the train company to complain and they send taxis. Only this time we didn't need to phone as the taxis were waiting outside asking people if that was their train. Almost as if they knew the routine : )
Annoyed as I'd used the train to try and do the right thing and leave the car at home... and ended up in a car, with all the cost and inconvience of a train trip too. Worst of both worlds.

That and quite a few one hour train journeys turning into 4 hour bus replacement services detouring around Wales is why I no longer use trains.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-18, 10:21 AM   #6503
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

On my local train service you cannot take a normal bicycle on between very wide peak hours in the morning and afternoon. Most of the older stock has no space for bicycles so you have to stand in the vestibule and hold your bike or in the newer units there is just space for two. If another bike (or two) are already on there you again have to stand.

And don't bother trying to get a bicycle on a train from Marylebone (probably the same at every London terminus) any time in the evening as every train leaving after 4pm is packed. So, if going to London from here with a bicycle on the train I can only leave Wycombe after 10 but need to be on a service no later than 15:45 to come back. So about four maybe five hours tops. Better to use the Boris Bikes and leave your own at home.

At least the services are pretty reliable on Chiltern though but as the network for them is so simple, with almost no interchanges with other operators, it ought to be.

Last edited by Sir Trev; 25-10-18 at 10:23 AM.
Sir Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-18, 02:05 PM   #6504
Bibio
Mega Poster

typical UK.. we had the first trains in the world but we also have the worst train service... what does that say about the UK and its people........ brewery, pizzup, organise, springs to mind.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-18, 02:56 PM   #6505
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Like all sectors....too much middle management adding nothing but fluff for the people above them...

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-18, 06:15 PM   #6506
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
Like all sectors....too much middle management adding nothing but fluff for the people above them...
It all started when people no longer started at the bottom, learned the basics and worked their way up the ladder, now we have graduates 'fast tracked' into upper management jobs with lofty theoretical ideas who have absolutely no idea what the people on the coalface do every day. Same goes for police and many other bodies in the UK, nothing more depressing than for people who have worked their way through the system to have managers parachuted in above them, telling them what to do who know f**k all about the way the system runs.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-18, 07:18 PM   #6507
zsv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
It all started when people no longer started at the bottom, learned the basics and worked their way up the ladder, now we have graduates 'fast tracked' into upper management jobs with lofty theoretical ideas who have absolutely no idea what the people on the coalface do every day. Same goes for police and many other bodies in the UK, nothing more depressing than for people who have worked their way through the system to have managers parachuted in above them, telling them what to do who know f**k all about the way the system runs.
100% incredibly poor business to have a manager that can't do the job they are instructing others to do.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-18, 07:37 PM   #6508
Red ones
Mega Poster

What tosh.
So, you run a small business churning widgets. You created this company from an idea you had at the kitchen table. You know how to churn widgets.
The day arrives when you need someone to run your website, your social media, to do your graphic design, to write your user manuals to be your finance director etc.
You can't employ them because you don't know how to do their job.
Stupid argument. You employ people BECAUSE you can't do their job.

Thanks for dissing how I got to my job. I don't know anyone who has the skills to do all the jobs I have to manage people doing. One moment it might be painting a wall (I could do that poorly), electrical installation, replacing an industrial direct fitted gas burner, installing and maintaining office air conditioning, road surfacing, marble floor laying, signage design, choosing furniture or a coffee machine, space planning or financial forecasting.

Showing an employee that you could do the job better only does the employee you don't trust them. Choose the employees for talks you can't do, recruit for your weaknesses and then show trust and care.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-18, 10:45 PM   #6509
chris8886
Mega Poster

no operation again today, my body's (my heart) apparently isn't producing enough of the eptopic beats that my surgeon needs to see to be able to do the procedure on me. so more tests again tomorrow, when hopefully I can produce some more/enough of these beats so that they can then target them next week. therefore requiring another weekend spent in hospital twiddling my thumbs!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-18, 07:07 AM   #6510
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Hope they get you sorted soon Chris. Sounds like it's getting a bit tedious hanging around waiting!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote