SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-04-15, 08:11 PM   #1
otaylor38

Default Sv1000 better made than the SV650?

Hi guys

So I've had a 2001 sv650 up until last year. It was an immaculate example, 5000 miles when i got it, 19000 when i sold it and in just as good condition, but with a few tasteful extras, beowulf end can etc etc.

I've since changed to a 2002 VFR800 Vtec and the bike Id a joy to ride, its faster than the SV, although its a bigger bike it corners better, handles better in general, suspension is worlds ahead, better made etc etc but the only thing with it is, the engine really doesnt seem to carry much character. Yes it goes like the clappers when its in vtec, but it doesnt give you any real joy when doing it, it just does it, failtlessly, if that makes sense?

Im tempted for an SV1000. I miss the grunt of a vtwin and the snarling sound. I sort of want the sv650 again but with more, more power and better suspension, better quality fixings etc.

Will the sv1000 do what im wanting? Is it better made? Or are the fixings still made of cathedral city? Is the suspension better as stock?

Look forward to hearing. Im keen to become part of the SV crowd again, having been briefly lead astray .

Cheers.
Old 29-04-15, 08:31 PM   #2
jetfish

Default Re: Sv1000 better made than the SV650?

I've been in exactly the same situation in the past. I started road riding on an sv650 and I loved it, I sold it after a few years and have had many bikes since. The best example was a honda cbf 1000, good bike, extremely reliable and comfortable and did most things with ease. I went around scotland on it problem free and when I got back I sold it. (At a profit i may add). Friends and family thought I was Barmy, but the sv was much more fun so I bought another. Simple as that.

Now I've had my say it's back to the question in hand. To which I have no clue of the answer. I've never owned an sv thou so can't help. Somebody on here will definitely help out.
Old 29-04-15, 08:38 PM   #3
otaylor38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfish View Post
I've been in exactly the same situation in the past. I started road riding on an sv650 and I loved it, I sold it after a few years and have had many bikes since. The best example was a honda cbf 1000, good bike, extremely reliable and comfortable and did most things with ease. I went around scotland on it problem free and when I got back I sold it. (At a profit i may add). Friends and family thought I was Barmy, but the sv was much more fun so I bought another. Simple as that.

Now I've had my say it's back to the question in hand. To which I have no clue of the answer. I've never owned an sv thou so can't help. Somebody on here will definitely help out.
The 650 is such a brilliant bike isnt it. If the fixings werent made of cheese and it had nearly twice the power id buy another and never sell again, ever.

But I've never had any experience with an sv1000. Im thinking 350cc and 2 beowulfs instead of 1 will be awesome, but i want a better made bike than a 650 too if i can.

I hear the sv1k isnt as good all rounder but im not too fussed about that, same as the headlights on the vfr vtec out performs most bikes, but its not what makes a bike fun and full of character.

To emphasise, im also tempted for a Tuono. The vtwin one (:
Old 29-04-15, 08:48 PM   #4
jetfish

I've had an RSV, absolutely superb engine and the suspension components are not bad either. So I can imagine the tuono being a right laugh. But in my short ownership I had side stand switch problems and some other minor electrical niggle. The clutch and battery situation also adds to the equation. Moving from a honda to a tuono may be too much of a reliability fail. Definitely has character though.
Old 29-04-15, 09:01 PM   #5
otaylor38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfish View Post
I've had an RSV, absolutely superb engine and the suspension components are not bad either. So I can imagine the tuono being a right laugh. But in my short ownership I had side stand switch problems and some other minor electrical niggle. The clutch and battery situation also adds to the equation. Moving from a honda to a tuono may be too much of a reliability fail. Definitely has character though.
What clutch n battery situation is that mate?

Well youd think so. But I've had a few problems with the Vfr. I was coming back over an A road at 11pm at night last year shortly after buying it, and it cut out, engine stopped, lights went out, everything blank, even abit of poo in my pants as i tried to remember which way the road went. Luckily it kicked back in shortly after but this happen 2-3 times, dealer reckoned they couldnt find anything wrong. So i asked on the VFR forum and got pointed in a direction of a bad earth plug, so i showed the dealer the article on the internet and he did bridge that out for me.

Next was the indicator relay. Just keeps blowing them and popping them out the little holder. Its been okay recently since i did it myself but its a bummer when you're out n they stop working lol. Everyone Wonders why you arent driving a bmw.

And now the idle control valve. Just refuses to idle sometimes, no idea why, but its enough for me. Thought these things were bulletproof.

It does work absolutly faultlessly 90% of the time, but bugs me a little.

Oh and an immobiliser. Never again!!

Aprilia might seem reliable, no?

Haha
Old 29-04-15, 09:07 PM   #6
mattSV
Mega Poster

I had a curvy 650 for 4 years and then a SV1000. The thou has buch better brakes (ex-gsxr), suspension, and.that.engine. I had twin Remus pipes on the thou, great for setting off car alarms ��

The thou is very different to ride compared to the 650. It needs to be man-handled, definitely not a girls bike. However, once you have chosen your line in a corner, it will sit there rock solid. As the bend opens up, wind on the throttle and giggle as it takes off.

Generally, the sv1000 lump is pretty solid, and overall probably more reliable than a Tuono. However, the prilly will be a better all round package if you can find a decent well looked after one
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-15, 09:22 PM   #7
otaylor38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV View Post
I had a curvy 650 for 4 years and then a SV1000. The thou has buch better brakes (ex-gsxr), suspension, and.that.engine. I had twin Remus pipes on the thou, great for setting off car alarms ��

The thou is very different to ride compared to the 650. It needs to be man-handled, definitely not a girls bike. However, once you have chosen your line in a corner, it will sit there rock solid. As the bend opens up, wind on the throttle and giggle as it takes off.

Generally, the sv1000 lump is pretty solid, and overall probably more reliable than a Tuono. However, the prilly will be a better all round package if you can find a decent well looked after one
Good to hear! Just what i wanted to hear actually hahs.

One last thing, did you ever service or go under the tank yourself? Did you find Wensleydale?

I think i need a test ride! Although finding a really decent one might be a mission?
Old 29-04-15, 09:36 PM   #8
mattSV
Mega Poster

I did a couple of services myself on it, and never had any problems with any of the components or fixings. keep it well maintained, use half-decent tools and you should not have too many problems. Leave it out 24/7 in ****ty weather, and just cheap ****ty tools and you will have grief.

Personally I reckon the viffer is a better all round package than the SV1000 but if you are desperate to pop your bigtwin cherry then go for it
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-15, 09:52 PM   #9
otaylor38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV View Post
I did a couple of services myself on it, and never had any problems with any of the components or fixings. keep it well maintained, use half-decent tools and you should not have too many problems. Leave it out 24/7 in ****ty weather, and just cheap ****ty tools and you will have grief.

Personally I reckon the viffer is a better all round package than the SV1000 but if you are desperate to pop your bigtwin cherry then go for it
Sound good. Oh yeah maintaining and tools is absolutly no problem. Its finding one tidy enough for me to be happy with i might struggle with lol.

I am abit. The vfr is nice to ride, but id go back to a vtwin any day, and 130bhp sounds like it might suit the bill on the power front.

Defo a vtwin guy (:
Old 30-04-15, 08:46 AM   #10
Skip
Mega Poster

I have also had both and have ridden another SV650 quite a bit since moving them on and I think the 650 is more "fun". The SV1000 has more go but its not a "tear your arms off fast" bike - its certainly not a 130hp bike - you would need an old TL1000 for that sort of performance from that engine. Its feels a lot heavier than a 650 too and for me personally who rides mainly B-roads I had a much bigger grin wringing the 650s neck

Still, go scratch that itch if its floating your boat - you can always move it on if its not what you hoped.