SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-05-05, 01:01 PM   #1
fabio

Default on/off: SV1000 vs SV650

Talking about the annoying on/off effect common to all injected SV bikes, some people owning a SV1000 (K3-K4) state it shows less on/off than the 650 (K3-K4). Other people state tho opposite.
Anyone who rided and knows both bikes can clarify about this issue?
Old 05-05-05, 01:03 PM   #2
Mr Toad

not noticed it myself
It might all be down to throttle control - or the lack of
Old 05-05-05, 01:05 PM   #3
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad
not noticed it myself
It might all be down to throttle control - or the lack of
Ditto
Old 05-05-05, 03:13 PM   #4
Moo

No, not riden the injected 650 but have had no problems with the 1000.
Old 05-05-05, 04:30 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

A snatchy throttle is a common complaint of FI bikes, some are better than others, the SV isn't noted as being particularly poor in this respect, however the throttle is also very light so it may just be a matter of getting used to it.

If the throttles aren't balanced correctly it will feel worse.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 06:36 PM   #6
adam

It can also be down to the gloves you wear! Think about it. I mean only if you're having a hard time with the on/off with the throttle perhaps try a different pair of gloves, just another variable in the brain-throttle body link...
Old 05-05-05, 07:55 PM   #7
fabio

well, I'm not saying I have real problems with the throttle, but sure my SV is not so smooth at low revs as other bikes are.
However, this is a common issue of all SV (and v-twins more generally), and we already talked a lot here about this some months ago.
Coombest suggested me to adjust TPS position and so I did. Search for that interesting thread if you like. After that regulation, the on/off was reduced. Neverthless, it still reamins a bit.
Evidently, you assume it is normal cause you're used to your SV, but if you rided some other bikes you would probably undertand it is not so smooth at low speed - low revs as some others can be.
So I was curious to know whether the SV1000 was (for me surprisingly) smoother than 650 or not, since some friends told me it is, but I never had chance to ride it to make a comparison.
Old 05-05-05, 09:54 PM   #8
Peter Henry

The problem you mention can be exaggerated when going from open to fully shut and then open again on the throttle. Often a full shut off is not needed and then the re introduction of more gas takes place a lot more smoothly. Probably is a technique question rather than looking for fixes on the bike.(For what I know of course!) Another small contributing factor might also be the standard gearing on the SV which if you are rolling on and off in the low gears can create a touch of jerkiness.
Old 05-05-05, 11:12 PM   #9
Damoulianos Marios

The SV is a bit snatchy by nature. I have an older '99 650 (carburetted) and it is still a bit hard to find an intermediate position for the throttle if running slowly inside town. I've heard this is common to largish V2s in general...
Old 06-05-05, 01:40 PM   #10
fabio

..sorry, but I'm not interested in subjective opinions about SV jerkiness.
I already know my SV is much more jerky at low gas - low revs, than many other bikes I rided, so I know what I mean. We're not talking about an hypothesis, but about facts. And I also could try the 650 of a friend and his bike is exactly the same as mine (and he agrees with me, like many other people here - check old posts...).
This has nothing to do with gloves I wear, neather can be considered a good driving habit to retain throttle a bit accelerated when you're slowing down, to avoid the engine jerkiness when you re-open it...

Simply, what I'm looking for is SOMEONE who rided b>> BOTH 650 AND 1000 <<, who can tell me the difference about jerkiness, if it exists...