SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-08-05, 08:13 AM   #1
kwak zzr

Default front pipe cleaning?

my k3 is like a new pin but the front pipe is all dis-coloured (brownish) ive had it from new and dont ride it in the rain.why's it gone brown and can i get the s/steel look back?
daz
Old 07-08-05, 08:19 AM   #2
Peter Henry

Kwak...Very common problem with the SV but not actually anything to worry about. Easily rectified but requires a bit of elbow grease or a "buffing pad" on a power drill.

I found a very good way was to buy a polishing compound like Solvo Autosol. Get some strips of rag, apply dabs of the compuond on the downpipes and use the rag in a sort of push me pull you method,(a bit like the action of drying your back with a towel?)

It might not get back to the original chrome look but you should get it pretty close!

Good luck mate.
Old 07-08-05, 08:19 AM   #3
kwak zzr

ive evan tryed AUTOSOL and a dremil tool with a mop head on! evan that wont shift it
Old 07-08-05, 08:19 AM   #4
Last Action Pimp

i have the same problem on my k4 and i ride that all year round.

and it lets down the bike soo much (looks)
Old 07-08-05, 08:31 AM   #5
kwak zzr

your right my bike is mint but the pipe looks 3year old,it does let it down i'm gona try what peter henry said <thanks.
Old 07-08-05, 01:07 PM   #6
trick

absolutely nothing to worry about, the pipes get so hot that the properties of the metal change ever so slightly which makes it change colour. performance, strength reliability all exactly the same. as mentioned there are many ways of cleaningthe pipes (nothing sexual intended) but i find the best is a sisal mop on a drill with some polish or brasso-style-metal-cleaner.

trick
Old 07-08-05, 01:44 PM   #7
Haxsaw

Quote:
ive evan tryed AUTOSOL and a dremil tool with a mop head on! evan that wont shift it
Y'ain't trying hard enough!

Mine had crispy (that's right, crispy) rust on it yesterday but after 30mins with a rag and tube of autosol it's now mostly shiny silver
Old 07-08-05, 03:22 PM   #8
WelshWop

I did mine yesterday for the first time in the bikes life (3 years).
I tryed autosol first but it wasnt cutting as much as it needed to, so i used abrasive paper, starting with 400, then 800, then 1200. Finished it off with a polishing mop and soap. It looks preety much perfect now
Aslong as i keep on top of the polishing it should keep its finish well.
Old 07-08-05, 03:29 PM   #9
kwak zzr

spent some time on it today with autosol and a kitchen scourer! its about 50% recovered so i'm going in the right direction.
Old 07-08-05, 10:09 PM   #10
falc

Lots and lots of elbow grease is the way forward

glad your getting there