SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-10-06, 01:46 AM   #1
skulpt

Default Little mod big difference

I have just fitted a 14 tooth front renthal sproket to my '00 svs and i must say it has made a sigificant difference in the acceleration and roll on. Top end is more revey but it was well worth the hassle as im loving it.
Old 13-10-06, 07:14 AM   #2
hovis

dose this mean you have lost top end speed?
Old 13-10-06, 07:22 AM   #3
SpankyHam

maybe you loose a little.

It will just rev more in top gear
Old 13-10-06, 08:21 AM   #4
muffles

don't they already reach the redline in top, mine does - i got it to 11000 - 11250 rpm roughly @ 140 indicated. so if revs more you will lose top speed...
Old 13-10-06, 08:27 AM   #5
carlos

I've got a new chain to put on after christmas, just waiting to get some nice shiny new sprockets before I do (and remortgage the house the buy to buy a chain splitter).

Was also thinking of 'playing' with the number of sprocket teeth. Originally, I was just going to increase the back to 45 same as the nakeds but reading this I may do the front aswell, or do you think that would be too much? I'm not really that worried about top-end speed, I've only taken it to 120mph+ on a couple of rare occasions (off the publ;ic highway of course)

Not that they cost that much anyway and could change back if no good.
Old 13-10-06, 08:27 AM   #6
Baph

Loose how much? 5mph? 10 even? 130mph is still enough to have your licence taken away.

To be honest, I'm perfectly happy with my pointies roll-on acceleration, all it takes is a little fancy footwork with the gear lever

But whatever floats your boat I suppose
Old 13-10-06, 08:28 AM   #7
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles
don't they already reach the redline in top, mine does - i got it to 11000 - 11250 rpm roughly @ 140 indicated. so if revs more you will lose top speed...
To get that in 6th your bike would have to already be geared down a little (just 1 is enough) otherwsie it will usaly stop at 135 and 10500~, unless you are going down hill a little and litraly no fuel.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-06, 08:36 AM   #8
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles
To get that in 6th your bike would have to already be geared down a little (just 1 is enough) otherwsie it will usaly stop at 135 and 10500~, unless you are going down hill a little and litraly no fuel.
Fully stock bike, and on my K6 I've had an indicated 143, on my private runway, small downhill slope, almost full fuel load, tucked down so much I could of drank the fuel. Don't know what the rev's were, as I wasn't paying attention to that. I do know however that it wasn't (quite) bouncing off the limiter.

EDIT: Maybe pointies are just more aero-dynamic?
Old 13-10-06, 10:44 AM   #9
skulpt

Well guys i have not yet taken it full whack but im sure ill lose a little. As for the front cog i guess you hear things like increased chain wear, worn chain guide yada yada whatever. Dont worry too much about it because im telling you the difference is quite special when you crack open the throttle.
Dont listen to whiners and just give it a go...................Martyn
Old 13-10-06, 12:50 PM   #10
Jelster

To give you an idea of what else this mod does, me and a mate both have the same year FireBlade (2003), he has dropped 1 tooth on the front and the difference is quite noticable.

For instance:

Last weekend some corners I was dropping to 1st as I went in but had to short shift to 2nd in the bend to get the drive out, he kept his bike in 2nd enetering the bend.

He gets more engine braking than I do because of his gearing

He can often get on the gas a fraction earlier than I can coming out of a bend, his revs are already higher and "in the zone"

It's not just about acceleration. I'm going to sort mine at the next service.