SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-11-18, 01:36 PM   #3511
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the problem with politicians, they dont know how to do the job they are given. politicians rely on advisers and civil servants who are supposed to know what they are doing. if the advisors and civil servants are bad then you get a bad politician making bad decisions.
And if the civil servants decide to put several spanners in the works as things are not going the way they'd like it to you can bet it will screw up big time.

Perfect example is the privatisation of British Rail - none of the ground work was done leading up to it as the civil servants did not want it and thought their own lobbying behind the scenes would squash it. When the decision was made the whole break up was done in a rush, with no time to work out responsibilities properly or to put in safeguards... The resulting chaos lead to the collapse of RailTrack soon after and the failure of a key aspect of the original plan, which was to allow competition across most lines. The contracts ended up leaving most Operating Companies monopolies in their respective areas.

Do we think lessons were learned? Doubt it.
Old 15-11-18, 01:50 PM   #3512
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
And if the civil servants decide to put several spanners in the works as things are not going the way they'd like it to you can bet it will screw up big time.

Perfect example is the privatisation.... it's not working. it never has and never will. all the public are doing is letting themselves be ripped off by allowing it.

Do we think lessons were learned? Doubt it.
let me rectify that for you

we were told at the whole start of privatisation by Thatcher that we would get lower prices for utilities and services due to creating competition. I'M STILL WAITING.

another thing Thatcher done was put 10p on a ltr of fuel with the promise of removing the road fund licence. I'M STILL WAITING

did you know that politicians can lie all they want in the house of commons. they dont have to tell the truth, ever never if they so wish while addressing the other members of parliament.

dont get me started on the fekin jobs for the boys high speed link.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-18, 01:54 PM   #3513
Bibio
Mega Poster

the government has sold all the family silver, its all gone so where are they going to get the monies now... you also have to remember that the UK will no longer be part of the EU so all their laws wont apply any more and the UK gov will be able to do what it wants regarding human rights and health and safety etc.etc.

there is one person to blame for the whole fiasco.. Gordon Brown please stand up.
Old 15-11-18, 03:49 PM   #3514
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

We are to blame because we have allowed our democracy to be hijacked by 2.3 % of the voters. That is the number of people estimated to belong to the political parties. It is those people who select the candidate from which those of us who can be bothered to vote chose.
Lab 540000 members
SNP125000
con 124000
lib 91200
green39400
UKIP 23600
P C 8000
The rest less than 8000 each, so assuming that those that belong to more than one party = the number of members of the smaller parties and there are 46148000 voters give approx 2.28%
The truth is that it's really the top three who effectively select virtually all our MPs
Old 15-11-18, 04:05 PM   #3515
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
We are to blame because we have allowed our democracy to be hijacked
spot on, but more to the point people dont care as long as they are nice and secure in THEIR little world. you then get the morons who vote for a political party coz their dad did and he was a moron too. you then get the absolute morons who think that nothing can be done as we all work for the system and government...
Old 15-11-18, 05:04 PM   #3516
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Hang on - isn't this the SotD thread?
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-18, 06:40 PM   #3517
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Have any privatisation plans in the UK been successful? This isn't meant to be a sarcastic question, I genuinely cannot think of one example that has worked out well for the consumer; enlighten me, please.
It's not for the consumer, its for the shareholder. That's all companies care about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 15-11-18, 06:46 PM   #3518
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Hang on - isn't this the SotD thread?
yup lets get back on track.

was in Aldi earlier and seen BEEEEERRRRR and since i haven't had one for a while decided FI. i got a bottle of Rheinbacher Pilsner and i'm glad i did. its light, very easily drinkable with no over powering hops taste, no bad after taste or "gummy mouth". basically a fizzy drink. i could sit and drink these all night
Old 15-11-18, 07:06 PM   #3519
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
yup lets get back on track.

was in Aldi earlier and seen BEEEEERRRRR and since i haven't had one for a while decided FI. i got a bottle of Rheinbacher Pilsner and i'm glad i did. its light, very easily drinkable with no over powering hops taste, no bad after taste or "gummy mouth". basically a fizzy drink. i could sit and drink these all night
It's nice ain't it! Berliner kindl is worth a go if them or lidl get it in

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-18, 12:27 AM   #3520
Gordon13

I did an Aldi trip with my grandson earlier tonight and bought all sorts of goodies..... Beer, sweets, cakes and nice cheese plus all the other bits we actually needed
Gordon13 is offline   Reply With Quote