SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-08-23, 06:21 PM   #6261
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Ouch. I think the EU made them compulsory on cars a few years back. They should be on bikes too.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk
Old 14-08-23, 07:30 AM   #6262
Luckypants
Mega Poster

The TPMS used by most car makers does not measure pressure but rather uses the ABS sensors to detect differences in tyre rotation and set an alert when one seems to rotating differently to the others. My car seems to alert me when 10psi has been lost! On my bike, the bum sensor would have noticed much earlier, but in the car - not so much.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-23, 09:29 AM   #6263
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
The TPMS used by most car makers does not measure pressure but rather uses the ABS sensors to detect differences in tyre rotation .....
Yep, my Honda Jazz has this system and in fairly typical Honda practice it can be prone to being rather too sensitive at times. Many folk comment on TPMS warnings coming up for no apparent reason. I've found that new tyres seem to "settle in" and after a decent mileage (perhaps several hundred miles) you no longer get warnings as long as you carefully set the pressures when cold (so all the same temp and stable) and reset the monitor. The system then "counts" the revolutions over the next few tens of miles and decides on what is a representative baseline. As long as you then set the tyre pressures when cold to the same figure it shouldn't give false warnings. I don't know what the threshold is for pressure loss to trigger it, my life is too short to mess around with such stuff these days. It doesn't give false warnings and I'm happy.
Garmin have a system with valve caps which talk to their satnavs, possibly a useful thing on a bike though not cheap. I don't know how reliable they have been. I prefer seat of pants and regular gauge checks on a bike.
Old 14-08-23, 09:33 AM   #6264
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I don't know what the threshold is for pressure loss to trigger it, my life is too short to mess around with such stuff these days. It doesn't give false warnings and I'm happy.
I found out the hard way. A run of bad luck with punctures gave me new tyres on each corner within 12 months.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-23, 07:58 AM   #6265
Seeker
Mega Poster

Are you joining me in Hell?

https://imgur.com/pz03b9a

I am curious why vegetarianism is next to being a werewolf. I suppose I was already in trouble through the restrictions in Leviticus (wearing mixed fabrics, trimming my beard).

(from reddit.com)
Old 15-08-23, 08:08 AM   #6266
Craig380
Mega Poster

Hah! As rock music is mentioned as one of the doorways, it reminded me of this quote from a sermon by Jimmy Swaggart, preacher (and, er, serial befriender & customer of ladies of the night):

"What is the truth about rock music? Music is a powerful - and perhaps THE most powerful - medium in the world. Music. Plato says when the music of a society changes, the whole society will change. Aristotle, a contemporary of Plato's, says when music changes there should be laws to govern the nature and the character of that music. Lenin says that the best and the quickest way to undermine any society is through it's music.

"Music, ladies and gentleman, is the gift of God. It was given to man to offer praises to God and to lift us up to him and to exalt Him to touch the tender recesses of our hearts and of our minds. Satan has taken music and he has counterfeited it, convoluted it, twisted it, exploited it and now he's using it to hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer a message into the minds and the lifestyles of this generation."
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-23, 09:20 AM   #6267
Bibio
Mega Poster

Plato was right.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-23, 12:14 PM   #6268
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
Plato was right.
In some respects, I'd agree. It depends on how widely the term 'society' is defined. Music can certainly influence changes in sections of society.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-23, 06:53 AM   #6269
Seeker
Mega Poster

So that is why it's called a "milkshake"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsin...lkshake_mixer/
Old 03-09-23, 06:59 AM   #6270
Seeker
Mega Poster

I wrote to my MP again (it's a regular thing). I entitled it "the bright side". I thanked him for allaying my fears about Putin's Satan 2 missile destroying our infrastructure since Tory austerity and incompetence was taking care of that.

I also suggested that with the waves of asylum seekers crossing the Channel we should vet them for builders, we could use a few right now.

He never answers, can't think why.

I should also add that when Osborne was touting austerity I told Vickers (my MP) that this was wrong - money was cheap so rebuild our infrastructure at least we would have something to show for it whereas austerity will leave us with nothing.

I reminded him of that email and couldn't resist a "told you so". (yes, it's petty, I know )
I'm pretty sure my emails get filtered into the rubbish but it's cathartic for me.