SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-09-10, 07:44 AM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Eco stupidity

For some reason my company (A large multinational corporation) is having an "Eco" week. The president is sending full company emails out about eco stuff encouraging us to mend our ways.

So everyone has now been given a plastic drink carton the idea being to have drinking water. only problem is on our site.

There is no drink water except from the vending machines. There is nowhere to clean these drink cartons except the toilets where the taps are marked not drinking water. I put my carton in the bin.

Surely it is more eco friendly to ask who wants a drinks carton and buy for those than to buy for everyone who then dumps non degradable plastic in the bins.

For once I am with the tree huggers and thinking eco. Normally I don't give a flying feck for it cos I will be dead by the time it all goes tits up.
Old 09-09-10, 08:02 AM   #2
BigBaddad

Default Re: Eco stupidity

All companies have a obligation to provide fresh drinking water.
Old 09-09-10, 08:18 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

We have an illegal kettle As in not allowed on this site, it was payed for by the business sector I work in as we provide free drinks to all staff on other sites, so why should 4 of us on this one be any different. We have to fill it from the non potable water in the toilets in the expectation that boiling it will kill the reason why it is not drinking water.

For some reason the site management decided the only drinks on site had to come from the vending machines. At least on other company sites the vending machines are free. Not here 15p a cup for nasty tea/coffee. Hence our illegal kettle/fridge/microwave. All PAT tested by the company spark but I am told not permitted by the site management.

I am not aware if the vending machines can dispense water, but even if they can hardly eco friendly to get 4 cups dispensed to then fill the bottle.
Old 09-09-10, 08:41 AM   #4
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
For once I am with the tree huggers and thinking eco. Normally I don't give a flying feck for it cos I will be dead by the time it all goes tits up.
If they really wanted to be eco they could invest in cleaner technologies which would reap rewards for years to come. Plastic cartons sounds like eco-pretence to me.
Old 09-09-10, 08:42 AM   #5
tactcom7

Im with BigBaddad mate on this mate, they have to provide you with clean drinking water by law.
Old 09-09-10, 12:50 PM   #6
appollo1
Mega Poster

if they want to be eco friendly print off a copy of the email for everyone in the company and send it out quoting that it is a waste of paper and not eco friendly.

http://www.german-shepherd-rescue-scotland.org.uk/ everyone deserves a second chance

RIP Appollo miss you and will always love you x x x x
appollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 04:17 PM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

Our new building, ok its 4 years old now, but its all pretty eco freindly. We have seperate bins for plastics, paper, geenral waste etc etc. All the lights are automatic. If sitting on the org for more than 15 mins my room lights turn off. All the PC's are now on a power down cycle at night. All our grey water is recyled. We have Zip taps (Chilled and boiled water on tap) plus vending machines. So its not bad to be honest.

However, i still seem tho throw away a forest load of paper every week because the numpties cant get thier work right 1st time!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 05:16 PM   #8
BigBaddad

From the HSE notice, what your employers must do for you #6 "Provide toilets, washing facilities and drinking water."

Last edited by BigBaddad; 09-09-10 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 09:29 PM   #9
Ed

I removed individual bins cos I was fed up with people sitting with overflowing waste, and I introduced a central bin with recycling hoppers. The team simply filled up all these bins too and didn't empty them, so I had to do it all the time. In the end I gave up emptying the bin and left it till we had maggots on a discarded pot noodle (NOT MINE!!!!!!) before anyone did anything about it.

Basic message is, companies can be as green as they like but it takes a lot to shift peoples' attitudes.