SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-07-13, 05:29 PM   #11
dkid

Default Re: The things you did as a kid...

I guess the classics go without saying?

Knock on door and leg it!
Hedge hopping.
BMX's, Wooden planks and trips to A&E
French bangers (can you still get them?) in anything and everything (including Cow pats)

Most of the above seemed to end with a severe rollocking and for some reason at that age this brought me out in uncontrollable laughter...
Old 02-07-13, 05:45 PM   #12
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

melt the tar in the road with a magnifying glass and build miniature castles, fag ends incorporated into the walls and lit.

slingshot the crap out of stuff and guns

There wasn't much around where i grew up, i once saw one of these airplane things and the moon trapped in a puddle.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis

Last edited by Wideboy; 02-07-13 at 05:58 PM.
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13, 05:57 PM   #13
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
What weird stuff did y do as a kid to amuse yourself in the abscense of playstations
Played on my Commodore VIC 20
Old 02-07-13, 06:04 PM   #14
Specialone

I used to bmx a lot in the very early 80's when they became popular, I was always building ramps and being stupid enough to test them first (I'm the opposite now, value my life)

Always climbing trees and setting up ariel runways with a spare set of CW's (bmx bars for those that don't know), had stitches in my head once when said bars hit me in the side of the head with my mate hurtling towards me shouting for me to move...WHACK !!!

Used to cut fireworks apart and build bigger ones, I should have digits /limbs missing for some of the stuff I did back then.

We had 'gat' wars (using .177 gat gun pistols), no safety glasses either
Old 02-07-13, 06:07 PM   #15
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Played on my Commodore VIC 20
I remember a few games, but they were only really played when the weather was crap.

It used to crack my folks up that I could spend from 7am to 7pm on the weekends riding actual horses and ponies all day...only to come home, eat and go outside to play pretend horses, lol.
Old 02-07-13, 06:14 PM   #16
L3nny
Mega Poster

Yer didn't really play the Vic 20 much. The games were mostly crap and took ages to load.

We used to have a village wide fireworks fight every November. How no one got seriously injured I have no idea.

Also would build forts from hay bails and throw stones at each other while in them.
Old 02-07-13, 07:01 PM   #17
Fallout
Mega Poster

Loads of dodgy stuff, but I think the weirdest thing was trapping weasels and rats with stolen gin traps when I was about 10. We then hung their corpses from our own 'gamekeepers tree' by their necks. It was pretty sick with hindsight, but we justified it as we were killing vermin on a farm (without permission). Trapping a baby rabbit and finding it's body still warm was enough to put an end to our reign of terror.

These days I feel guilty when I kill a spider. Back then I was happy to chase after rats with sticks and club them to death. I guess empathy is learnt to some extent. Lord of the Flies and all that.

Yes, I am a serial killer.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)

Last edited by Fallout; 02-07-13 at 07:02 PM.
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13, 07:11 PM   #18
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
Loads of dodgy stuff, but I think the weirdest thing was trapping weasels and rats with stolen gin traps when I was about 10. We then hung their corpses from our own 'gamekeepers tree' by their necks. It was pretty sick with hindsight, but we justified it as we were killing vermin on a farm (without permission). Trapping a baby rabbit and finding it's body still warm was enough to put an end to our reign of terror.

These days I feel guilty when I kill a spider. Back then I was happy to chase after rats with sticks and club them to death. I guess empathy is learnt to some extent. Lord of the Flies and all that.

Yes, I am a serial killer.
how did you have time for that inbetween the caviar canapes and driving daddy's Porsche?

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13, 07:35 PM   #19
tigersaw
Mega Poster

When we were old enough to go to the pub but too young to drink we would go out to the mucky duck on a saturday night, consume several pints and then walk home using the assault course.
This involved walking down the lane but having to dive into the hedge if any oncoming car had square headlights. Crossing the river Trent on the underside of a Bailey bridge, crossing a canal by walking across the vandal proof gas pipe, jumping into a slow moving train coal hopper as it passed underneath a bridge on its way to the power station, jumping off next to the gravel pits, climbing the huge rubber bouncy ramp to the top and jumping off onto the huge gravel heap and sliding down, crossing the A38 dual carriageway sideways doing space invader impressions and back home to our village by which time we had all sobered up.
Did the whole course several times and no-one ever came to any harm.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13, 08:54 PM   #20
The Idle Biker

You could have a punch up without too much risk of getting stabbed. Happy days.