SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 30-10-07, 11:03 AM   #11
thedonal

Default Re: Jolly in Wales this weekend

Well- I made it there and back safely. 8 hours on the way up (A roads and a couple of missed turns). I must say that, after 6 hours on the road, the A5 in the rain and dark, on a bike is a fairly scary proposition- especially when you've got idiots in sporty renaults up yer tail waiting to overtake between twists- Llangollen was particularly hairy. More so than the climbing itself!!!

Way back was better and had daylight to take in the scenery. Much better- except the resurfacing work every other mile of the A5 (I'm sure I'll appreciate that in the long run!!). And it only took 6.5 hours. The A49 has got some lovely stretches of twisties too.

Sorry you couldn't make it Luckypants- though I was fairly knackered and was of limited conversation skills by the evening!

My new gloves- Richa Baltics worked a treat- finally, a good pair of winter gloves...
Old 30-10-07, 11:09 AM   #12
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonal View Post
especially when you've got idiots in sporty renaults up yer tail waiting to overtake between twists
Shame on you!

Quote:
- Llangollen was particularly hairy. More so than the climbing itself!!!
Why? What happened?

Quote:
Sorry you couldn't make it Luckypants- though I was fairly knackered and was of limited conversation skills by the evening!
Next time perhaps.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-07, 11:15 AM   #13
thedonal

Just the twisty roads in the dark/rain that I don't know- I was taking it fairly easy...!

I think it was Llangollen. You know- cliff on one side, slate wall and sheer drop on the other....
Old 30-10-07, 11:31 AM   #14
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
I think it was Llangollen. You know- cliff on one side, slate wall and sheer drop on the other....
LOL could be anywhere round here! But I know what you mean and probably where you mean to. Everything is very dark around here.

Glad you had a good weekend though
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 10:54 AM   #15
Baph

Sorry I didn't pick up on this sooner matey, otherwise I'd of had a jolly down to meet up. Capel-Curig is about 25mins from my place & I know the centre pretty well.

I know what you mean about the A5 in the dark, it's fine if you know the road, but if you don't, then you need to take it easy. That I can remember, there's 3 sets of roadworks between Capel-Curig & Llangollen, so that would of given you a chance to have a breather if nothing else.
Old 03-11-07, 01:12 PM   #16
thedonal

NOW you pipe up!!!!! Oh well. I'll be up there again at some point, cash allowing- to do a longer climbing course, probbly as PYB have impressed me massively in every way. So I'll give a bit more warning and we can all hook up- even if only for beers, rather than riding.

Yeah- the A5 is very stop start on the roadworks. I also noticed, on the way back, that some of the regular traffic lights in Gloucestershire take AAAAAAges to change.... Gaaaah!