SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-02-07, 09:42 PM   #1
Assen

Default Please Help - injected SV with carb icing?

I have a 2004, fuel-injected sv650s with 30,000 miles on the clock. It's been mine from new, and this is the first time I've had any kind of trouble with it. Basically, when I drive home from work, I do 10 miles through traffic, then 10 miles down a duel carriageway at about 60-65mph. When I leave the duel carriageway, as soon as I close the throttle off, my bike then starts playing up - any attempt to blip or open the throttle from closed makes the revs die away and the bike dies. It's like the idle speed has dropped to 0 - the bike kind of struggles to tick over, but the revs give out as soon as I try and open the throttle even the tiniest amount. If I give it a load of throttle, ie. over-rev and slip the clutch, then I can get the bike to pull away. Once it's moving, if I ride along at constant revs, the bike intermittantly kicks itself forward with a surge from nowhere. The past couple of days it's just been keeling over as soon as the revs drop below 4-4.5k.
The weird thing is, in the morning it runs as right as rain, and the problem literally only happens when I leave the duel carriageway about a mile and a half from my home. This makes me think it can't be a spark plug problem, otherwise I'd notice it more often. The garage insist it's carb icing, but putting Silkolene Pro FST in with my fuel to counter carb-icing hasn't made any difference so far.
Do you have any ideas at all?

Many Thanks,
Ali
Old 14-02-07, 09:47 PM   #2
carlos

Can't be carb icing as you don't have carbs and unfortunately don't have any experience with FI bikes to know, sorry.
Old 14-02-07, 09:50 PM   #3
Spider

you did point out to them the fuel injection didn`t you?
Old 14-02-07, 09:50 PM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Sounds like the injection equivalent of the choke sticking,ie running too rich.I believe they have a temp sensor for cold starting which may be playing up.If you take out the plugs and inspect them you may find they are black with sooty deposits which would tend to confirm this.Same thing would be caused by a clogged up air filter,so has that been changed in living memory?
Old 14-02-07, 09:51 PM   #5
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assen View Post
I The garage insist it's carb icing, but putting Silkolene Pro FST in with my fuel to counter carb-icing hasn't made any difference so far.
Do you have any ideas at all?

Many Thanks,
Ali
you have not got any carbs? so the garage are idiots
Old 14-02-07, 10:00 PM   #6
Carsick

Sounds like the standard front pot getting wet issue. Have a search and you'll find similar reports and solutions.

edit: assuming it's been wet, of course, which it has here.

Last edited by Carsick; 14-02-07 at 10:06 PM.
Old 14-02-07, 10:53 PM   #7
Assen

I did tell the garage it's fuel injected, they insisted it's still carb icing, or whatever the injected equivelent of that it. The problem isn't just in the wet, so I'm pretty certain it isn't the front cylinder issue. I'll try and check the spark plugs this weekend, to see if they're clean or not, but I don't see how that could be causing the problem, cos if it was surely it'd happen more frequently than just the last stint on the way home? It must be something to do with the throttle being held open for 10 miles at half decent revs, then shut off pretty much to closed as I leave the duel carriageway and stop to give way at the roundabout on the exit.
Thanks for the suggestions so far - if anyone has any other ideas I'd be very grateful to hear them.
Old 14-02-07, 10:58 PM   #8
Assen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Same thing would be caused by a clogged up air filter,so has that been changed in living memory?
The spark plugs and air filter were checked 2000 miles ago at the 28K service. Although the weather's been crappy and the roads filthy, so I guess it could've got clogged up already. I'll try and check that this weekend as well.
Old 15-02-07, 07:55 AM   #9
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assen View Post
The garage insist it's carb icing
Quote:
Originally Posted by hovi5 View Post
you have not got any carbs? so the garage are idiots
Got to go along with Hovis there. Never, ever go back to that garage!
Old 15-02-07, 08:08 AM   #10
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Carb Icing is just a term that was coined when it was discovered, the ventrui effect still applys to FI bikes but it just does not happen as much. This is as far as i understand it.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote