SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-12-20, 07:02 PM   #121
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
This is already happening with Tesla over the air updates.
A lot of cars these days (new ones with built in internet) have over the air updates. Whether it be the OS, Sat Nav, software issues on the ECU etc. No need to go in to a dealer anymore.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 07:43 PM   #122
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

My car (Ford) connects to the home wi-fi when it's on the drive and presumably does this.
Old 17-12-20, 08:16 PM   #123
DJ123
Mega Poster

This may be a tangent, but what happens to emergency vehicles?
I couldn't see an EV fire engine being produced for years as they could in no way do the same job for the continuous amount of time an ICE is capable of.
Police cars? Great news if you're a criminal, easy to out run them when they need to choose between blue flashing lights, wipers, lights or putting their foot down.
Ambulance; uses the defibrillator & the vehicle stops . . . .

Think i might buy myself a Van, large generator and set up a mobile charging unit for people breaking down.

BMW F800ST

Last edited by DJ123; 17-12-20 at 08:17 PM.
Old 18-12-20, 09:08 AM   #124
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
Think i might buy myself a Van, large generator and set up a mobile charging unit for people breaking down.
Too late, the AA and RAC already have them....

Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 10:06 AM   #125
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
This may be a tangent, but what happens to emergency vehicles?
I couldn't see an EV fire engine being produced for years as they could in no way do the same job for the continuous amount of time an ICE is capable of.
Police cars? Great news if you're a criminal, easy to out run them when they need to choose between blue flashing lights, wipers, lights or putting their foot down.
Ambulance; uses the defibrillator & the vehicle stops . . . .
There will no doubt be exceptions for emergency vehicles (much like the exceptions which allow police cars to have their engines running all the time) but they may not be needed.

Considering fire engines, they spend most of the time in a purpose-built shed, so can always be topped up. Police cars could perhaps do with less boot space, to give them a much longer range.

Or maybe they'll have pluggable batteries. When it's industrial, there'll be plenty of options ...

My favourite is the first all-electric ferry in Norway, built in 2014. It has a 1MWh battery (10x the biggest Tesla) but charges enough for each trip during the 10 minute turn-around. To do this, they have a battery in the port which is constantly charged then dumps its charge into the ferry when it docks as the grid wouldn't cope on its own.

I'm still holding out hope for hydrogen though ...
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 12:19 PM   #126
redtrummy

Got a friend that has just got rid of his Toyota Hybrid - he is a gadget man but just got fed up with all the gizmo's which he said has just got too much. Plus it hasn't been ultra reliable
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 12:54 PM   #127
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
There will no doubt be exceptions for emergency vehicles (much like the exceptions which allow police cars to have their engines running all the time) but they may not be needed.

Considering fire engines, they spend most of the time in a purpose-built shed, so can always be topped up. Police cars could perhaps do with less boot space, to give them a much longer range.

Or maybe they'll have pluggable batteries. When it's industrial, there'll be plenty of options ...

My favourite is the first all-electric ferry in Norway, built in 2014. It has a 1MWh battery (10x the biggest Tesla) but charges enough for each trip during the 10 minute turn-around. To do this, they have a battery in the port which is constantly charged then dumps its charge into the ferry when it docks as the grid wouldn't cope on its own.

I'm still holding out hope for hydrogen though ...
A fire engine on scene at a fire or a crash scene using the PTO can be on for multiple hours from an ICE. You'd need a serious battery to pull the same power for battery, or a large generator.

Hydrogen is too expensive for smaller vehicles currently. I can see it being used for industrial purposes/the road transport network more so due to the much larger volumes they consume. Then cars will trickle in as this becomes more accessible and cheaper.

BMW F800ST
Old 01-01-21, 01:19 PM   #128
DJ123
Mega Poster

There's some good battery information in this video talking about the degradation of Lithium Ion Batteries, and that Tesla is using a LFP battery in the Chinese market for the Tesla 3 due to the better long term performance.

BMW F800ST
Old 01-01-21, 10:29 PM   #129
DJ123
Mega Poster

My friend is a Firefighter, and says that EV fires as the most difficult to deal with. Essentially the best/only way to deal with them is to submerse the car in water for 24 hours.

This is the advice Tesla give on a Battery fire, link to page/documents below.

https://www.firerescue1.com/firefigh...Dv8vd87oZ9ZKs/

FIREFIGHTING
Extinguish small
Fires
that do not involve the high voltage batteryusing typical vehicle
Firefghting
procedures.During overhaul, do not make contact with any high voltagecomponents. Always use insulated tools for overhaul.Stored gas inflation
cylinders, gas struts, and other componentscan result in boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion (BLEVE) inextreme temperatures. Perform an adequate knock down beforeentering a hot zone.If the high voltage battery catches
fire,
is exposed to high heat, oris bent, twisted, cracked, or breached in any way, use largeamounts of water to cool the battery. DO NOT extinguish with asmall amount of water. Always establish or request an additional water supply.Battery
Fires can take up to 24 hours to extinguish. Consider allowing the battery to burn while protecting exposures.Use a thermal imaging camera to ensure that the high voltage battery is completely cooled before leaving the incident. The battery must be monitored for at least one hour after it is found to be completely cooled. Smoke or steam indicates that thebattery is still heating. Do not release the vehicle to secondresponders, such as law enforcement and towing personnel, untilthere has been no heating detected for one hour.Always advise second responders that there is a risk of batteryre-ignition. After Model S has been involved in submersion,
Fire, or a collision that has compromised the high voltage battery, always store the vehicle in an open area at least 50 ft (15 m) from any exposure.

BMW F800ST
Old 04-01-21, 02:34 AM   #130
svenrico

'Electric vehicles are part of the solution that are worth pursuing for some applications, but I certainly dont think they're a utopian fix-all.' That hits the nail on the head. It seems to me to be putting all your eggs in one basket pursuing just electric vehicles .
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote