SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 25-03-08, 10:15 AM   #1
plowsie

Default Continental Road Attacks

Bought the CBR of Spanner Man back in December, the Road Attacks still had the Road Attack writing on the tyre so I assumed they were still fairly new.

First thing I noticed about them was that they took a little while to get warm, once warm they did respond fairly well. Another thing I noticed was that they always felt like they were gonna drop off (slide away(they never did)), as if I couldnt feel what they were up to, possibly worse than the BT020. Rain riding they were almost as good as the Pilot Sports I had on the SV, never lost traction once unless I knew I was doing too much for me and them. Once again, took a while to get to a decent heat in the wet obviously.

Now the problem I encountered, I check my pressures every week so I know they werent running too soft or anything. I noticed the centre was going slightly bald last Saturday, so I started looking, realised I had no dosh so i posted on Tuesday last week that I needed a rear on the Supercorsa for sale thread. Spoke to Lozzo and confirmed that I would grab them at Silverstone which is next Monday. All well and good until Thursday, I overtook my boss on the way home and decided to show him how to take the bends, little did I know my tyre was destroyed, two bends later I was twitching like a finger on the trigger of a gun, I couldnt get it back in line and thought it was time to come off, just a year after my last proper off...Admittedly I was pushing, but nothing like I was on the limit.

I got to the pub where I was meeting Mum and Dad for dinner looked at the rear to my amazement...

[Having trouble to get the picture up at the mo]

It was like this in 3 places. I couldnt believe it, I hadn't slid the rear at all and I'm not a stunt junkie so I don't do burnouts but 80 miles (if that) and 5 days later that had happened, I did 165 miles with a dodgy rear last time when I had the SV and went out with Pete and Lissa and still the thing was running down, but didnt see carcass until 250 miles after i picked up on baldness.

3500 miles later on the rear, thankyou very much Mr Continental!
Old 25-03-08, 10:25 AM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Continental Road Attacks

I thought the dual compound BT020's were supposed to be a really good tyre? Thats what my girlfriends dad keeps recommending that i get next , now i dont know what to get lol

As for the pics, use picoodle.com quick fast hosting and easy to use.....
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-08, 10:28 AM   #3
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
I thought the dual compound BT020's were supposed to be a really good tyre? Thats what my girlfriends dad keeps recommending that i get next , now i dont know what to get lol
Don't go on what I say, they may be an improvement for one rider but not another, I'm very fussy about tyres. I liked the qualifiers in the dry(a lot) but not the wet. The 021s are the latest from Bridgestones and from what Pedro told me they were v.good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
As for the pics, use picoodle.com quick fast hosting and easy to use.....
Can't get them off me phone at the moment lol.
Old 25-03-08, 01:14 PM   #4
Grinch

I'm surprised that they fell apart(guessing at the moment as no pic) as the Road Attacks I had on the SV did 9k on the back and 12k on the front. In fact the front is still on the bike, though it could do with a change. All I can say really is this is not something I would expect from the tyre. Infact my last rear was a 8k Road attack before it got a nail in it, so I've had nothing but good things from them.
Old 25-03-08, 01:17 PM   #5
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
I'm surprised that they fell apart(guessing at the moment as no pic) as the Road Attacks I had on the SV did 9k on the back and 12k on the front. In fact the front is still on the bike, though it could do with a change. All I can say really is this is not something I would expect from the tyre. Infact my last rear was a 8k Road attack before it got a nail in it, so I've had nothing but good things from them.
Dan exactly my thoughts I read good things about them, which is why I think I need to get my riding style evaluated to see if there is anything up with it...Could pressures be a prob. I run 36F 42R.
Old 25-03-08, 01:33 PM   #6
Grinch

Well I run 36f 38r, though I would supect a fault with the tyres.
Old 25-03-08, 01:33 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Pressures effect everything, grip, feel and wear rate. I dont know about pressures for your specific bike though.

As for 020's well I had those and Z6's the Z6's last longer, dont square off as quickly and work better in all conditions...

3500 is what I get out of a Corsa III on my GSXR which has a tad more power than your CBR, you oughta get more out of a rear than that...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-08, 04:35 PM   #8
tranx

Those preasure seem very high as on the Ducati 750SS the road attacks are meant to run 32 front 34 rear, is there really that much difference between the bikes? Are those the preassures listed by the bike manufacturer or conitnental?
Old 25-03-08, 04:43 PM   #9
plowsie

Listed by me. My choice to run them on that. Feel comfortable like that. Could that partially down to the early wear so quickly?
Old 25-03-08, 04:55 PM   #10
Grinch

Well generally you get worse wear when running low preasures.. though the SV book for the SV is 32f and 36r if I remember correctly. Thats cold tyres remember, so as you put more heat through them the preasure goes up. All I can really say is contact conti direct and get there views as we could banter about this all day.