SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-09-08, 11:07 PM   #1
metalmonkey

Default Fuel system problem

Right so me and few other set about working on the race bike this w/end. Its a 2000 curvey so a carbed bike, that has been race preped.

The problem is when I try to start the bike up it won't fire, it just won't turn over at all

We put a small amount of petrol onto of the air filter, it sparked off the vapours and ran for on about 1 second, so not much use really. But we know its the fuel system somewhere!

So what do I need to check, where the best the best place to start looking to fix this issue?

I need to this bike running asap, as I need to be set up for next year and all being well and getting the bike working, I may have sponorship going which is vital for any racer. But I have to get certian things done for this to happen.
Old 14-09-08, 11:38 PM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: Fuel system problem

Right Chris, its been sat about for a while am I right? Check the carbs to see if they are flooded, they may want draining, make sure there are no blockages in the fuel line itself.

If you are certain it is the fuel work your way from the simplest soltuion to the hardest. Chances are the carbs will need a clean anyway, change your spark plugs while your at it. If your gonna be racing your gonna need some fresh ones anyway.

I could be chatting utter b0ll0x but check those areas firstly. Explain what it actually does when you hit the starter...does it turn but not catch, does it tick, does it cough, does it do nothing at all...
Old 14-09-08, 11:59 PM   #3
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
Right Chris, its been sat about for a while am I right? Check the carbs to see if they are flooded, they may want draining, make sure there are no blockages in the fuel line itself.

If you are certain it is the fuel work your way from the simplest soltuion to the hardest. Chances are the carbs will need a clean anyway, change your spark plugs while your at it. If your gonna be racing your gonna need some fresh ones anyway.

I could be chatting utter b0ll0x but check those areas firstly. Explain what it actually does when you hit the starter...does it turn but not catch, does it tick, does it cough, does it do nothing at all...
The carbs were drained, as the they were off the bike but now have fuel in them! I changed the plugs this w/end (the front plug is a total bitch I told the bike off serval times about that!) as well I have fresh plugs in the bike now.

How do you clean the carbs, can that be explained please? also they will need balancing as well I imagine anyone?
Old 15-09-08, 12:03 AM   #4
plowsie

Did a lot come out of them when you drained them Chris? I'm not very good with cleaning the carbs cos when I was gonna have mine done on the CBR, a very nice person off here was going to do them for me, however, I didn't text him and wires got crossed and the bike got sold anyway.

Get a Haynes manual and read through, you are also on the most useful source for bike maintenence, the world wide web...Have a look around, you will find a guide for anything on here mate.
Old 15-09-08, 05:48 PM   #5
metalmonkey

Can anyone help here please with this? I haven't had chance to look at the bike again today, been at work then had to get the doctors.

Does anyone have a spare set of carbs I could loan off them please? As that would elimate alot of work....

So how do I go about cleaning the carbs? I'm new to this and am learning as I go, I do however have some tools!
Old 15-09-08, 05:55 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

How old is the fuel in the bike ? I had similar problems with my K1 when it had been stood for ages. Would turn over, but wouldnt fire. I drained the fuel out and refilled it with a fresh tank full and it started pretty much straight away after that.

Might be worth a try if the fuel is old.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-08, 05:57 PM   #7
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
How old is the fuel in the bike ? I had similar problems with my K1 when it had been stood for ages. Would turn over, but wouldnt fire. I drained the fuel out and refilled it with a fresh tank full and it started pretty much straight away after that.

Might be worth a try if the fuel is old.
No its not that! The bike was apart we put back togther put in new plugs and fresh fuel and it wouldn't start!!

So thats the problem I need fix and quick.
Old 15-09-08, 06:21 PM   #8
sv650k4

Wot do you mean by it just wont turn over??? if its not turning over then give the battery a got charge or do you mean its turning over but wont fire up?

give the carbs a good clean out as i would say its problem then causeing the problem.

Old 15-09-08, 06:48 PM   #9
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv650k4 View Post
Wot do you mean by it just wont turn over??? if its not turning over then give the battery a got charge or do you mean its turning over but wont fire up?

give the carbs a good clean out as i would say its problem then causeing the problem.

I mean by that it won't fire up, the battery is fine I know this as optimate charger shows all is good.

How do you clean the carbs?
Old 15-09-08, 06:51 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Whenever I've had to clean carbs, I basically just get a tin of the carb cleaner from halfords and go to town with it, it's just a really brutal solvent. That's always worked for me, but no doubt there's better ways.

Is fuel definately getting to the carbs? There's allsorts that could stop that happening. Carbs blocking up isn't exactly madly rare but to happen to both at the same time isn't so common

I've got a couple of sets of carbs in bits so if you need parts let me know, but I don't have any whole ones any more.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote