SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-07-21, 04:14 AM   #2371
gt alex

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

A temporary fit until the shorter pins arrive, I ground down the diameter of the longer pins so the upper tree doesn't hit and used rubber tube as spacers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210718_113130.jpg (103.4 KB, 0 views)
gt alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-21, 10:04 PM   #2372
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt alex View Post
A temporary fit until the shorter pins arrive, I ground down the diameter of the longer pins so the upper tree doesn't hit and used rubber tube as spacers.
What is the point of this , to save undoing 2 bolts ?!
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-21, 03:43 AM   #2373
gt alex

Yes. I am always changing or modifying something so the tank is lifted at least 3 times a week and its 1 less tool
to have to get out.
Plus, being a cafe racer it is that or a rubber strap.
gt alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-21, 08:30 PM   #2374
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Fitted a £30 second hand throttle position sensor to the Dorsoduro. What a bitch of a job! Buried right behind the headstock/airbox. And you have to unbolt it all in situ, unscrew the two 12mm nuts on the cables where you can't swing a spanner one degree! And you can't even take the throttle tube off as there isn't enough slack on the cables. They must fit them before the bars go on when they are being assembled.

Fingers crossed it fixes it as a new unit is £500. It has only been throwing up codes until recently. The other day it cut power as I was overtaking a lorry. Can't be having that
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-21, 05:40 AM   #2375
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Started the big 12k service on the Street Triple. Exhaust valves are all at the limit or slightly tight so all going down one shim size. The cam cover has to come off anyway to fit the plate to check the cam timing.

Impressed that Triumph sell a 12k service kit with all gaskets etc needed. Makes it much easier than researching every diagram on Fowlers' Parts site.
Not so impressed that they have a box at checkout to add a tip! With their prices what they are already I'd hope the staff are on a decent wage!

Quite a few things needed to buy to be able to do this service, including the "DealerTool" (aftermarket, not the official Triumph $$$ ) software. Still a lot cheaper than getting someone else to do it though and at least I know it's actually been done.

Looks like using software makes some of the jobs a lot easier. No vacuum guages needed for thottle body adjustents. You get a digital diplay of sensor readings on screen and just adjust the screws. Also needed to modulate the abs pumps to bleed them.

As usual a jungle of wires and connectors to work out before getting access to the engine though. Taking lots of photos as notes as I go along.

+ Yet again wondering what "service" and checks were done by the dealer before I got the bike just less than a year ago?

Last edited by Adam Ef; 24-07-21 at 06:54 AM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-21, 07:12 AM   #2376
Seeker
Mega Poster

I had a similar experience when I had a Street Triple, the dealer (Webbs), who sold me the bike, had stamped the 12k service as being done. I took it to Clive Woods in Swineshead (south Lincs) for another issue and he asked if the service had been done. I mentioned the service book but he wanted to balance the throttle bodies anyway so he took a look and it soon became obvious it had not been touched.
The nice thing about Clive is that he's the only Triumph verified independent tech in the UK, he encourages you to be with him in the workshop so he can explain what he's doing and gives you tips on what to do yourself. He runs Triumph triple classes from basic maintenance to full tear downs and will even accommodate you if you've travelled far.
Old 24-07-21, 04:09 PM   #2377
Craig380
Mega Poster

Bloody hell, that air filter is FILTHY. Interesting that you get a digital display of readings to help balance the TBs, though.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-21, 08:28 PM   #2378
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Bloody hell, that air filter is FILTHY. Interesting that you get a digital display of readings to help balance the TBs, though.

The display is via the software that reads what the ECU is getting from all the sensors on the bike, including the air flow / mix etc.

Just got round to trying to order the software and lead needed and the people who sell it have gone on holiday until August the 7th. Damn, looks like the bike will be sitting in bits for couple of weeks.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 09:30 PM   #2379
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I had a similar experience when I had a Street Triple, the dealer (Webbs), who sold me the bike, had stamped the 12k service as being done. I took it to Clive Woods in Swineshead (south Lincs) for another issue and he asked if the service had been done. I mentioned the service book but he wanted to balance the throttle bodies anyway so he took a look and it soon became obvious it had not been touched.
The nice thing about Clive is that he's the only Triumph verified independent tech in the UK, he encourages you to be with him in the workshop so he can explain what he's doing and gives you tips on what to do yourself. He runs Triumph triple classes from basic maintenance to full tear downs and will even accommodate you if you've travelled far.
Sounds like a good bloke.
Old 25-07-21, 09:41 PM   #2380
svenrico

'+ Yet again wondering what "service" and checks were done by the dealer before I got the bike just less than a year ago?'
They used to automatically include at least an oil and filter change and 1 year's mot when buying a used bike from a dealer but they don't seem to automatically do that now, depending when they think the oil was changed last and how much mot is still to run !