SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-10-04, 08:51 PM   #1
mysteryjimbo

Default Swapping the exhaust

I know a lot of you have done this so i'm expecting some quality advice!

I'm receiving a "full" exhaust system in the next day or two (cut stock pipe + can) and want to know the best and quickest method of getting my current system of. Smallest amount of hassle please!

I reckon it should be quite easy to the point of being a little fiddly getting to the rear cylinder.

Any good tips?

Cheers guys.
Old 06-10-04, 09:27 PM   #2
derbybiker

If you remove the black plastic triangular thingy underneath the seat on the left side of the bike you should be able to see the clamp that holds the down pipe to the cylinder. From what I remember it's an 'Allen key' type bolt (well it was on mine anyway).

If you are not removing the down pipe off the front cylinder you will probably have a bit of wangling to do to get them seperated.

A good soak in penetrating oil the night before on those nuts and bolts.
Old 06-10-04, 10:48 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

There's a short pipe that sticks out of the rear cylinder and then attaches to the downpipe with a bolt (or allen screw, i forget which). So dont remove this from the cylinder- instead, seperate this wee header from the downpipe. Saves you a gasket as well, since there's not one at that joint. (or at least, none that I saw)

It's not difficult, though some of the bolts can be tricky- be very careful with the front ones! It's all too easy to strip the thread in the engine block or to snap those bolts. Get in there iwth the penetrating oil beforehand.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote