SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-08-14, 09:59 AM   #21
Nekkid

Default Re: Shipping container transport by road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Might work at low tide mate, but you'd probably better off with something like this

Build it, and i will come.....
Old 12-08-14, 11:45 AM   #22
DanSp

Default Shipping container transport by road?

I'm guessing you've already considered it and it's not viable.... Are you unable to hire a large box van for a day and trans ship if from container to your place?
Depending on the content of the container, try askig a local removals firm??
(I worked for a removal firm last year for a time and did a few jobs which were to be exported which we loaded into our lorry, drove to the docks and then loaded into a container, for the reverse to be done at the destination port)

Last edited by DanSp; 12-08-14 at 11:47 AM.
DanSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-14, 11:48 AM   #23
maviczap
Mega Poster

Its one of the options, but it would need to be de-vanned into one of the warehouses at Felixstowe, which would incurr costs.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-14, 04:30 PM   #24
Nekkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSp View Post
I'm guessing you've already considered it and it's not viable.... Are you unable to hire a large box van for a day and trans ship if from container to your place?
Depending on the content of the container, try askig a local removals firm??
(I worked for a removal firm last year for a time and did a few jobs which were to be exported which we loaded into our lorry, drove to the docks and then loaded into a container, for the reverse to be done at the destination port)
Thats a sound idea, if it means saving a few hundred quid i might just do that. Have to wait and see what the real cost of transporting the container is.
Old 12-08-14, 04:33 PM   #25
Nekkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Its one of the options, but it would need to be de-vanned into one of the warehouses at Felixstowe, which would incurr costs.
Other way round, it would be going from container to van at felixstowe. The question is, as a private individual, would i be able to get at the container before it leaves the port? How would they feel about a van taking up space during the unloading? I suppose it depends on the company.
Old 12-08-14, 04:59 PM   #26
maviczap
Mega Poster

No, that's what I mean. When the container is discharged from the ship it goes into the stack. Once its cleared, normally it gets dropped onto the back of a lorry & off the port, or onto a train in some cases.

You can't get access to your container on the quayside, it would need to be taken from the stack to a unloading bay in one of the warehouses by a dock company lorry. Then the contents of the container would need to be unloaded into this warehouse, where you could collect them by van. For this service you would be charged by the dock company.

The other option would be for your container to be taken to an ERTS warehouse (external remote transit shed) and have your possessions unloaded there. But again you're going to get charged for this.

But lets she what my contacts tell me, as I'm not an expert on this, but its in my work area, so I know a bit about how things work on the dock
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 08:28 AM   #27
DanSp

Default Shipping container transport by road?

How did you get on with this buddy???

Sent from my iPhone
DanSp is offline   Reply With Quote