SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-06-09, 06:25 PM   #1
Dicky Ticker

Default Triumph clocks - good or bad?

Triumphs with the new instrument cluster that can show your maximum speed attained during your journey.
I have a Triumph but one of the older ones without this but my GPS does record your maximum speed if switched on

Question for our boys in blue,would it be possible to charge/convict on this evidence in the same manner as you would with the tachograph in a commercial vehicle?
Old 02-06-09, 06:30 PM   #2
joshmac

Default Re: Good or bad

I would've thought they'd have to be able to prove when you were doing this speed. If you get pulled can you not just reset the trip?
Old 02-06-09, 06:32 PM   #3
Alpinestarhero

I guess first it would have to be proved that it was calibrated properly. And where does the speedo come from? If its the rear wheel, then maybe you just did a burnout...
Old 02-06-09, 06:32 PM   #4
Jdubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmac View Post
I would've thought they'd have to be able to prove when you were doing this speed. If you get pulled can you not just reset the trip?

You could but it is a very "noticeable" process and when you've just been moving and your max speed travelled shows a big fat zero it does look a tad suspicious...
Old 02-06-09, 06:37 PM   #5
joshmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubya View Post
You could but it is a very "noticeable" process and when you've just been moving and your max speed travelled shows a big fat zero it does look a tad suspicious...
True, but would they really know it was there to look for it? If not why not just leave it?
Could try and Reset, turn the ignition off and take off your lid to make it look like you're cooperating. I guess it'd still be obvious that you're doing something with the clocks...
Old 02-06-09, 06:39 PM   #6
Eeyore

you only need an officers opinion to be convicted, generally it will be corrobarated by a device, but the officer has to believe you were speeding in the first case.
The info on its own is not admissable if the speeding wasnt witnessed by an officer.
Thats why speed cameras have road markings so the officer can form the opinion an offence was committed corrobarated by the reading of the radar.
Old 02-06-09, 06:41 PM   #7
joshmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
you only need an officers opinion to be convicted, generally it will be corrobarated by a device, but the officer has to believe you were speeding in the first case.
The info on its own is not admissable if the speeding wasnt witnessed by an officer.
Thats why speed cameras have road markings so the officer can form the opinion an offence was committed corrobarated by the reading of the radar.
That's the situation I had in my head after reading the OP
Old 02-06-09, 06:48 PM   #8
the white rabbit

Wouldn't they need a search warrant to go pushing buttons to look for things?
Old 02-06-09, 06:56 PM   #9
Eeyore

Nope, and if they really wanted to make your life difficult they could sieze the bike as evidence
Old 02-06-09, 06:57 PM   #10
Jamiebridges123

No it cannot be used.. If they clock you at 129 on their machine and your clocks says 135 then ok, maybe...it could be used as SUPPORTING evidence..

But if they check through it at the roadside when they pull you for your plate, they can't use that information for anything. It's not worth the numbers it's displaying.

"So sir I see you've had 105 out of your bike"...

"Wasn't me..."
"Was on a track day.."
"Was on a closed circuit.."
"Was on the autobahn on a recent trip to the nurburgring" etc etc.