SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-09-07, 08:51 AM   #1
DanDare

Angry Diesel Spill

Does anyone know of any course of action or any protocol taken if theres been an accident as a result of a diesel spill.

I was riding my scooter to work this morning and I could smell fuel very distinctively. Was very careful and felt the back end slip out a bit. Carried on carefully and then she just gave out underneath me. Luckily traffic stopped in time and offered assistance.

Thankfully I am Ok and the scooter is just scratched ( thus far )

I carried on to work slowly and could see the diesel spill all along the 2 mile stretch.
I rang the Police who didn't seem interested and the council would send someone to look.

What has annoyed me most is I feel I've lost all confidence riding the scooter now. Apologies if this is a bit random, it only happended 30mins ago and I am still buzzing from the adrenaline.

Is there any legal obligation the police or cancel have to make and can I get compensation for my bike if its found to be needed?

Cheers in advance
DD
Old 24-09-07, 09:35 AM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Diesel Spill

I dont think you can claim......maybe if the diesel spill had been previously reported and not cleared up, but even then I dont think you can.

You are allowed to call 999 to report a diesel spill though and they are supposed to attend or arrange for the local authority to attend and make good.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-07, 09:37 AM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

If by some miracle you know who dumped it you have a claim against them,but otherwise I doubt it.
Old 24-09-07, 10:03 AM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

Sorry to hear of your off. I saw a lady on a pushbike go over a diesel spill and she dropped like a stone, not nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare View Post
...I rang the Police who didn't seem interested......
Shock horror probe.
Old 24-09-07, 10:40 AM   #5
plowsie

I think in the case of a massive chunk in the road missing that hasnt been marked or acknoledged then action can be taken against the council. AFAIK diesel is not the same!
Old 24-09-07, 02:33 PM   #6
KnightRider
Mega Poster

FYI to everyone, the A4 between the M4 and the Richmond turn off had but loads of diesel all over it. It pretty much looked like a lorry had taken a 30 minute pi*s all the way down the road so please be careful.

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-07, 02:57 PM   #7
haggis

I dont know if different council authorities have their own rules, but around here they are usually spraying the road within half an hour of a reported spill. They use some kind of detergent to break it up, it's about as slippery as the diesel! But at least there's a 'slippery road' sign put up for a while.

I have reported them to the police a few times and they usually they get right onto it. Rather than calling 999 go to a station near the spill, if you can do.

Re: claims. As above, unless you know the culprit - forget it. The only way you might, i stress might, get somewhere is if the spill had already been reported earlier in the day and no action had been taken - that's negligence on the councils part. Difficult to prove of course.
Old 24-09-07, 04:23 PM   #8
John 675

It was all over the road in nottingham today, i mean Everywhere! there must be something that you can do,
for example if your riding ( or driving ) and involved in any kind of accident because of a diesel spill, and especially if your only TPFT what can you do? nothing isnt an answer that is acceptable! (unfortunatly its the only one we get) so what do we do? who is directly responsable for the uk's road condition? after a maasive downpour after a sunny spell it all comes to the top and is extremely dangerous.. why not spray the roads then? they grit them when its icy.. its not going to happen but i thought id have my moan at it because it cheeses me off SO much...
Old 24-09-07, 07:07 PM   #9
Nostrils

I thought that if you report a diesel spill with the police through the 999 system because you believe it to be so dangerous to other (aswell as yourself in this case) they were bound to record it and pass onto the local authority. If nothing is done within a certain time period and another accident happens then you can claim against the authority not reporting or doing anything about it!! I would still call the local authority.

A link here to white dalton who offer some advise! http://www.whitedalton.co.uk/site/Wh...sel-spills.htm