SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 11-02-08, 01:02 PM   #11
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Michelin Pilot Road 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Blue, that's a pretty sweeping statement.
I dunno Baph, for Blue, it read like a well reasoned arguement.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 01:42 PM   #12
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Blue, that's a pretty sweeping statement.
Every Michelin I have ever ridden (and I’ve tried a few including 2CTs) has had violent/unpredictable cold grip.

I raced for a while on Pilot Race and then Pilot Race 2s. The Pilot Race 2s I can categorically say are the most unpredictable tyres I have ever ridden and the route of my hatred!

Yes, plops to a blanket when they are HOT HOT HOT, but anything else and it is a lottery!! … I was having ‘cold tyre’ type near highsides about 4 laps into races – that’s not right or good for the head!! … worst of all is that I wouldn’t mind but the lap before they seemed fine …

Its this unpredictability, cold grip problem and lack of ‘feedback’ (they either on rails or having you off, there is no ‘slide’ to let you know you are getting near!).

So although the PR2s are where my hatred began, it is something I have noticed with all the Michelins I have tried since and when I think back, before too!!

p.s. I have a Macadam that is about to go back on my SV (as I have worn the 020 out). Sure the bike is rideable, but I’ll never get as frisky on it as I would other rubber …
Old 11-02-08, 01:50 PM   #13
DanAbnormal

The only thing Blue is that for most of us we use our bikes for riding on the road. Not race only. Perhaps for racing they are naff due to high temps. As far as I know PR2's are a sport touring tyre and not a race tyre.

But then I know very little about tyres.

I've heard PR2's are awesome but I'm going for the Avon Storm ST's.
Old 11-02-08, 01:57 PM   #14
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganDan View Post
The only thing Blue is that for most of us we use our bikes for riding on the road. Not race only. Perhaps for racing they are naff due to high temps. As far as I know PR2's are a sport touring tyre and not a race tyre.

But then I know very little about tyres.

I've heard PR2's are awesome but I'm going for the Avon Storm ST's.
Please don't forget, I ride on the road almost daily too and have been doing so for the best part of 20 years, I've had a few different tyres on the road and understand the differences, my track/race experience only serves to let me know what is possible, especially in extreme conditions not just bumbling!!
Old 11-02-08, 02:04 PM   #15
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Please don't forget, I ride on the road almost daily too and have been doing so for the best part of 20 years, I've had a few different tyres on the road and understand the differences, my track/race experience only serves to let me know what is possible, especially in extreme conditions not just bumbling!!
Not everyone who rides on the road just 'bumbles' as you put it

At the end of the day, opinions are like ********s, everyone has one. Tyres that suit some people won't suit others. Tyres that some say are fine have others throwing their hands up in horror. We like PR 2's. Never had a twitch in wet, dry or freezing cold, but that's OUR experience. At the end of the day the only real way to find out if tyres suit you is to try them.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 02:11 PM   #16
Baph

Quote:
Every Michelin I have ever ridden (and I’ve tried a few including 2CTs) has had violent/unpredictable cold grip.
I have to admit, I have also felt this on PR2s, under road conditions. I also spoke to other members of the org about it when I was at Cat & Fiddle a long time ago.

However, since then, I have played with tyre pressures somewhat. The stock recommended setting for PR2s is 33/36, however, my local tyre shop know me pretty well by now, and ask me "are you still running higher pressures?" Yep.

I've found that running PR2s on roads (not tracks) at 33/36, there's a LOT of sidewall flex when they're cold. This could be what you've descibed as unpredicability, and quite rightly, it scared the bejeebus out of me so much I was almost prepared to pay £200 for a new set of tyres that did the job.

However, that only lasted/lasts for the first 5-10mins of a ride on the road, and then the tyre is sufficiently heated (for me).

Running the PR2s at 36/42 virtually eliminates this sidewall flexing, and I find no problems with them whatsoever.

However, track tyres run at a higher temperature, so this workaround might not be good for the track (air expanding due to heat).
Old 11-02-08, 02:16 PM   #17
rob13

Gonna stick with the RA's after all this! Excellent tyres and fully recommended in wet or dry
Old 11-02-08, 02:54 PM   #18
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
Not everyone who rides on the road just 'bumbles' as you put it.
My point is that I have ridden at all sorts of speed, from bimbling on the road (summer and winter through), to fast road, to trackday pace, to race wining pace!! ... I'd therefore say I have a pretty good idea of what tyres can do under a variety of conditions/scenarios and know what is wanted/needed/desired for road and track. Admittedly it is what I want, other people indeed will have different criteria or not care if their tyre is likely to spit them off at zero notice!!

Quote:
I have to admit, I have also felt this on PR2s, under road conditions.
Point is not ALL tyres do that ... ALL Michelin do ... so if you know they are like this, why buy a Michelin?!
Old 11-02-08, 03:02 PM   #19
Baph

Quote:
Point is not ALL tyres do that ... ALL Michelin do ... so if you know they are like this, why buy a Michelin?!
I buy Michelins because they are £2 more a pair than Z6s.

I buy Michelins because I know the sidewall flex issue, and the corresponding workaround.

I buy Michelins because I know how god damn nice they feel when properrly warmed, and it's well worth the £2 price "hike" compared to Z6s.

I buy Michelins because I want longevity as well as grip.

Sorry, I'm just in that sort of a mood ATM.
Old 11-02-08, 03:23 PM   #20
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
I buy Michelins because they are £2 more a pair than Z6s.

I buy Michelins because I know the sidewall flex issue, and the corresponding workaround.

I buy Michelins because I know how god damn nice they feel when properrly warmed, and it's well worth the £2 price "hike" compared to Z6s.

I buy Michelins because I want longevity as well as grip.

Sorry, I'm just in that sort of a mood ATM.
But Z6s are not the only other tyre on the mraket ...