SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-03-11, 01:18 PM   #1
sprocket

Default Loose wire in fuse box - fix?

Hi guys, following on from my problem installing my heated grips where the alarm started going nuts thanks to an ignition cable going funny.

Anyway I though I'd fixed that issue but it's come back again, I've routed it back to the fuse box and found a loose wire. If I have the bike on and start playing around with the fuse box I can see the lights on the dash go out . . I've pinned it down to one wire but was wondering what the best way to fix this is?

Electrical problems =
Old 28-03-11, 03:43 PM   #2
sprocket

Default Re: Loose wire in fuse box

I've found with the wire if I push it in certain direction then it will be in a good position . . so I'm guessing it's loose inside it's housing?? Is it possible to pull these out and reattach them??
Old 28-03-11, 04:51 PM   #3
warmshed

Hi, not sure what connections the SV uses (pick up the SV on Wednesday) but if you look closely you will probably find that the wire connects to a brass fitting within the fuse block. Normally these are held in place by a little tang on the brass fitting. They can been removed with a very thin small screwdriver, pushing the tang down where it digs into the plastic. Once out you can pull out the tang so it will grip again when replaced. The most likely reason for the bad connection will be the crimp, but pull the wire to make sure its not broken inside the insulation. Just open up the crimp, clean the brass and the wire. I would then solder it, re-crimping will only last a little while before corrosion sets in. Ask around if you are not used to soldering, a bad soldered joint is a fault liability. If you can post a photo I may be able to be more specific. Regards Dave
Old 28-03-11, 06:39 PM   #4
sprocket

Thanks warmshed, wasn't sure if these were the plug and play types, manage to play around with it and secure it a bit tighter now . . will take the bike down some bumpy roads to make sure the connection is staying