SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-01-08, 07:40 PM   #1
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Bump vs. jump...

So the little DRZ is finally back in one piece after several months sans forks, of course the battery is deader than steve irwin so i need to get her started tomorrow...

i have a car battery, the SV battery or the slight hill on which i live, which do you reckon is the best option? don't want to kill the electrics starting it off the 1.8l diesel battery (obviously made of sterner stuff) - but then again i don't fancy pulling the SV apart just to get to the terminals, is bump starting a completely dead bike a feasible solution? there's just enough juice to power the side light and make the headlight glow yellow, the trip computer doesn't even power on

answers on a postcard please, yes i know i should have got an optimate but it was only going to be off the road for a couple of weeks to begin with...

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-08, 08:19 PM   #2
ljharmitt

Default Re: Bump vs. jump...

bump it at bout 15 - 20 mph down the hill. It will work if you know what your doing lol
Old 25-01-08, 08:23 PM   #3
orose

Car battery for me - the only reason its physically larger than the bike ones is because it can sustain the drain rate for longer, which is good when you're getting a stubborn bike to go.

Mind you, I've got a diesel engine battery on my cinquecento for much the same reason
Old 25-01-08, 08:25 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

Find a big hill. Stick it in 2nd gear (or maybe third) so the rear wheel dosnt just lock up...and 15 mph later, with a big jump on the seat as you drop the clutch, it might fire into life. Of course, you'll leave the kill switch in the off position and try several times before realising so, by which time youll be so tired from pushing that you'll give up, go home and jump it off the SV...

If you do bump it, go for a good long ride to get some life back into the battery, and if you have to stop the engine, make sure you do at the top of a hill incase the battery dosnt recharge..

Matt
Old 25-01-08, 08:27 PM   #5
ljharmitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Find a big hill. Stick it in 2nd gear (or maybe third) so the rear wheel dosnt just lock up...and 15 mph later, with a big jump on the seat as you drop the clutch, it might fire into life. Of course, you'll leave the kill switch in the off position and try several times before realising so, by which time youll be so tired from pushing that you'll give up, go home and jump it off the SV...

Matt
You been watchin me :O with my old bikes?
Old 25-01-08, 08:28 PM   #6
Alpinestarhero

I used to bump and try and bump and still go for bumping an old feild bike my cousin had, but forgot to turn the fuel tap to reserve. so it didnt start...

Matt
Old 25-01-08, 10:18 PM   #7
fatneck

£40 for an Optimate III SP: get one and save yourself a world of pain!